Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

Tobias

+++

"Tobias!" Tris's yell stops me instantly.

Something is wrong. I shoot the rebel in front of me and turn around.

I see Tris, gun raised and pointed towards the Judge's Bench. My heart skips a beat. There stands a man with a knife, pressing it to mother's neck.

"Mom!" I yell and run foreword. The man laughs psychotically. He holds my mother's body tight against his, with his head over her shoulder. She struggles, but he pushes harder on he knife, making her stop. A thin trail of blood slides down her throat.

"Not the best choice, boy," he spits. Christina and George run up to Tris and aim their weapons at the man.

"Did you really think I would let you go? Without an agreement? And without a death?" He chuckles. "You are too funny."

Slowly, I inch down, and set my gun on the glass speckled floor. I raise my hands, showing I have no weapon and inch towards them.

"What do you want? We can make an agreement," I say. "I'm on board of the Convergent and I can help you." I see Tris look at me in the corner of my eye. She knows I'm bluffing.

"I don't believe you," he says, and puts more pressure on the knife. My mother gasps. Sweat beads on my forehead. "Besides, I have all that I need right here." I take a full step forward but he yells, "Don't take another step fool!"

I freeze and nod.

"I want to be let out of this city. Only me. You will do this or Evelyn will have a bloody smile on her neck. I do not what any government official following me. ANYONE." His eyes widen.

I turn to Tris and she shakes her head. We have to save her, I mouth. She nods and looks to the open hallway. Following her gaze, I see what she thinks of.

"We can't agree to those terms, Krey," Tris says. "We are not letting you out of this city."

Krey sighs, tilting his head to the side. His bloody lip quivers and he shakes his head twice. "Alright," he says, shocking everyone. "Alright." He slightly releases Evelyn, and she gulps in air. The arm of Krey still wraps around her body, holding her close. Our guns hold aim at the head and torso of Krey, not moving at all. He shakes his head one last time. "It's fine with me. I guess you'll just have one more body to clean up," he says. I know what is about to happen. My body reacts before I can think.

"NOW!" I scream, as Krey draws back the knife.

Zeke jumps from the hallway and fires his gun. Three bullets sail through the air and thud into the side of Krey.

Krey's hand continues to pull back, and he finally releases the knife, clattering to the floor. The eyes of Krey widen, as he steps back, arms wide open, releasing my mother, and he falls to the floor, with two bullets in his side, and one through his temple.

I look to my mother. The breath in my chest evaporates and my heart stops.

My mother, with a bright red line sliced around her neck, stumbles, and collapses next to the fallen body of Krey.

"Mom!" I yell. I am running faster than I ever had before, and before Tris can stop me, I jump over the wooden section separating the Gallery from the Bench. Stepping over the body of Krey, who lays on a pile of glass and blood, I stand over her. "Mom!" I yell as I sit on my knees and hold her head on my lap.

The light in her eyes are gone; her smile turned into a straight line, and her neck glistening with dark blood.

"Mom! Can you hear me? Stay with me! Stay with me! Please, mom!" I scream. Tears fill my eyes, and blur my vision.

"Mom," I sob, running my hands through her hair. As I bend over her body, a hand gently touches my right shoulder. I turn, wiping the tears in my eyes with my blood stained hands, and I see Tris, kneeling next to me. She grabs ahold of my hand and places my head in her chest. I let go of my mother's head and lean into her.

Christina, George, and Zeke walk slowly foreword, being careful not to disturb me.

First Amar, my trainer and friend. Now my mother, the only one that I could relate to except for Tris.

She. Is. Gone.