•Day 53• Brynn

Start from the beginning

"We'll see about that," he shrugged. "Meet me in the parking lot at lunch."

Parking lot?
Where were we going?
Just the two of us?

"Fine." Rule number two: never show that you're nervous.

I walked down the hall, my heels clicking on the floor and my bag swinging by my side. There was no doubt that I'd won that conversation.

For some reason, every one of my talks with Draven were battles. We were both hot-headed and stubborn, so everything we said was a mix of snarky comebacks, colourful insults and lines from plays to exhibit how extraordinarily talented we were.
(How extraordinarily talented I was. He tried.)

I was glad I'd finally found a friend in this place. Most of them were far too absorbed in their own problems to sit back and have fun. Another thing was that I bonded better with people who shared my flair for theatre. I liked having discussions about the one thing I was most passionate about. I loved the thrill of being challenged and fighting hard to rest my case.

So yes, essentially, I got along with people who weren't dramatic, but loved drama. The irony.

"Hey, Brynn, you free this evening?" Holly's fiery little Asian friend called from the side of the corridor.

She knew I saw her, but I tried to pretend like I didn't anyway.
The last thing I wanted to do was spend time with Ava. The best part was that Will was beside her and was undoubtedly in on the plan. I knew that I'd formerly planned on getting Will to fall for me and help his Mirror, Mirror crap succeed, but after seeing him kiss Thea, I realized he wasn't the one for Holly. She and I were two sides of the same coin. Although I didn't understand her at all, I couldn't let her get broken by some dumb guy. She deserved better than Will.

"Brynn," she called again, attempting to follow me, but I ignored her and stalked off. I knew she was only trying to make things better for our friendship or whatever odd relationship we were having, but I didn't want it. To her, I was just another conquest. A way to finish this task she'd created in her mind. She wouldn't stop working for it until it was completed. Just like her violin pieces, she wouldn't rest until she'd mastered this quest.

"Please, Brynn, just listen," Will begged.

Maybe it was Holly's voice in my mind pleading with me to give him this chance, or maybe it was the sincerity and love I heard in his tone that was undoubtedly meant for Holly, but I stopped and listened to him. And I hated myself for it.

"You have a minute," I snapped coldly. Will seemed to unleash the devil in me. I was always bitter, rude and uncaring around him. He somehow left me devoid of all feelings. It made me feel powerful around him.

"One date. I beg you, just the one. If it doesn't work out, I'll leave you alone forever."

His voice was trembling, and I noticed how Ava shifted half an inch closer to him. Just that small act of protectiveness and love stirred something in my heart.

You had your shot. One dance, but it wasn't with me.

"Forever?" I echoed. The words weren't coming from me. It's like somewhere, deep down, my heart knew that half of it belonged to Will. It was that half that was feeding the words into my mouth.

"Forever," he promised.

"Today. Six. Ava's restaurant. You playing tonight?" I turned towards her then, and her lips seemed to be forming a small smile.

"Will forced me not to come tonight, if that's alright with you." Will started to look more nervous than ever. I liked that I scared him.

"Just one night," I muttered under my breath, pretty sure that he could hear me. "Just one night."