1

Victoria

    Rushing past another nurse that's calling in a deadly allergic reaction, I pace toward the entrance of the ER. The double glass siding doors part open - ambulance hurriedly pushing a stretcher into the hospital.

I spot the unmoving body, white bandages drenched in blood are taped onto the patient's stomach.
"We've got a gunshot wound, the bullet is piercing through his pancreas!" I hear the medic shout quickly.

"Stone!" My attention averts onto the woman who yelled for my name. "Can you cover this? I have a child out back-" I immediately nod in turn and pace behind the doctors who took over pushing the stretcher.

The hospital is chaotic with alarming sounds from medical machinery and patients shouting for nurses, the phone on the other side of the main desk rings a few times before a worker answers it.

There's chaos, so much of it. But I focus ahead of me, turning the corner behind the rushing doctors before we enter an operating room.

"We need to work on getting this bullet out fast." The doctor orders firmly. I rush over to one side of the dying patient's body, and slip on the gloves to remove the drenched bandages.

I lift them up, wincing the moment I see the hole around the patient's abdomen pouring blood. I toss it into the trash and put some pressure beside the wound using a towelette.

A doctor reaches for a scalpel, examining the bleeding from the patient a moment, then begins the procedure. He carefully performs the incision as I watch, continuing to assist the surgeons around me.

Half an hour goes by, and it seems like we've been standing in the OR forever. I watch the doctor, frankly my boss, peel his gaze onto the patient's face, then down to either of the patient's arms. I follow his gaze.

"You know, I've seen those tattoos before. The tattoo of a bird. The detective dealt with guys like this one before." His green eyes flick up to mine. "Whoever this guy is...he's in a gang."

My brows furrow. "So you think he's some criminal?" I question quietly, my eyes meeting the doctor's once again. I grab another towelette quickly, applying pressure to the patient's wound again. I huff out a tired breath, and speak before he can.

"Well, that doesn't stop us from trying to save him." I claim, not leaving the doctor's eyes who doesn't peel from my own. He gives a look that I can't quite catch onto due to the face mask he vestures around his mouth. His gaze then concentrates on the dying patient.

I'd give anything to have a different boss.
I can't stand him.

I roll my eyes, and focus on the surgeon's orders.

Moments later, the alerting sound of a failing heartbeat sounds on the heart monitor. I glance at the mini screen - the heart line beginning to straighten.

"No, no." I whisper to myself, hurriedly moving to replace the patient's breathing mask with another. I look down at the patient's face.

He looks young; with ruffled dark hair and youthful features - tattoos on each finger tracing back up onto either arm.

I avert my attention onto the surgeon who just now, slowly, pulls out a black metal piece from the patient's skin.

"Got it." The surgeon says, placing the bullet down into an empty bowl. I fixate on the patient's face again, placing my hand on his shoulder.
"Stay with me." I whisper - seconds before the heart monitor sounds a steady ring.

I throw a glance over my shoulder, looking back to see a straight, endless line portraying across the screen.

And before I can breathe another word, my boss speaks again.

"We lost him. Let's call it." He announces rather quickly, after a sigh.

With furrowed brows, I avert my gaze onto my boss. "What? You can't just-" I pause.

And without saying another word, I rush to plant both of my palms on the patient's unmoving chest, preparing for CPR. Ready to begin the first compression - a set of firm hands sweep across my own; removing the settle place I claimed on the patient's chest for revival. My hands revert to either side of me.

My boss fixates his green irises on me. There is a flash of coldness to flame within his green irises. It makes me harden my jaw in impatience.

"Time of death: 1940." He states firmly - sternly.

I watch him, and before I know it I find myself glaring. I frustratingly pull off my gloves, soon disposing either of them.

I then diffuse a scoff, before running a hand through my shoulder length brown hair.

My pumping veins begin consuming with anger, as I exit the OR.

--

By the time I make it home, it's 8:30 at night. I walk in my house and shut the front door behind me. Tucking a strand of my wavy hair behind an ear, I place the car keys on the counter when I enter the kitchen.

The entire ride home, I couldn't clear my mind from what happened earlier.

"How was work, hun?" I hear my fiancé shout. I exhale a heavy breath in turn.

"Stressful. Depressing." I answer, hearing him jog up behind me - his warm and embracive arms wrapping around me from behind.

"Depressing, huh?" My fiancé, Jack, plants soft kisses on my cheek.

I crack a smile, though it doesn't quite reach my brown eyes.

"Yeah, we lost a patient tonight." I breathe. "Jack, this boy looked about only 17 or 18." I frown, and Jack meets my light brown eyes.

"I'm sorry, hun. I wish you didn't have to see that." Jack responds sincerely, while I gaze into his light blue irises.

I sigh, "When it comes to saving lives, Jack, that's when I love it. Now if only I didn't have such a terrible boss." I roll my eyes.

"You should've saw him earlier. We were performing surgery on the kid and he thinks the kid was from some sort of gang, and the way he looked at me... it was as if he thought that kid didn't deserve to live!" I find myself roughly rubbing my hands across my face in agitation.

"Babe, no worries. Trust me a guy like that won't keep his job for long." My fiancé states, next to my ear. I meet his reassuring eyes, and feel my pink lips start to quirk up.

"I know." I say. Jack beams a smile.

"I love you." He says against me.

"I love you too." I return.

My fiancé presses his lips against mine. And before I know it he's hoisting me up; wrapping my legs around either side of his toned waist.

I giggle when he begins to carry me up the stairs of my house, kissing my neck uncontrollably.

---

Hello, loves! Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed!

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Rio. This is a Rio fan fiction. The rest of the characters are my own.

Much love!

xx