Chapter 24

i woke up the next morning with a cramping back and feeling more tired than when i originally fell asleep. i groaned and then remembered where i was; in a holding cell, possibly going to jail for something i didn't do.

"sanders!" i heard a voice yell. i jumped back, being startled by the voice. "detective walsh wants to talk to you again." i took a deep breath in and stood up as my cell unlocked and i stepped out. as soon as i stepped out, the cop grabbed my arm and lead me to the same room i was in before. i didn't recognize this cop, he looked nicer than the rest of the ones i've encountered.

"you know, i can walk on my own. i don't need support."

"oh, just a safety precaution." we were both silent for a bit longer, then he said "you know, i believe you. i didn't think you committed that crime. you look too nice and innocent, and i can tell when a person is lying. and you definitely weren't lying."

i smiled, feeling grateful that at least someone here had some common sense. "thanks. it just annoys me that no one here believes me. its honestly quite annoying at this point."

"yeah, i know from experience. i was arrested for a crime i didn't commit, and there was one cop that was there that believed me. he fought for me, and i was eventually let go not guilty. ever since then, i told myself i would do exactly what that man did for me to other citizens that are wrongly accused of crimes."

my mouth dropped open. "that's amazing. thanks for helping me out officer... um... officer..."

"harbour. officer richard harbour." he said smiling.

"thank you officer harbour." i replied, returning the smile. officer harbour led me into the room where detective walsh was already waiting. i heard the door close behind me and i looked into the mirror, somehow knowing that richard was behind that mirror. i smiled, also somehow knowing he was smiling back.

"ash, sit down." walsh mumbled.

i followed my orders, starting to worry that something was wrong.

"before i tell you what i found, just for measures, im going to order a lie detector test for you."

after he said that, i heard the door open and i turned to see an old man carrying a big device. he set it down on the table as i examined it.

the old man started to place these pads connected to wires on the temples of my head, one on my forehead, some on the tops of my hands, and two on my heart.

"now," the man started. "did you commit the murder?"

i took a deep breath and answered "no."

little noises started to come from the device, and the man wrote down something on his clipboard.

"was dallas winston apart of the murder?"

"no." the same little beeps came from the machine, and the man wrote down something on his clipboard again.

"one last question; were you trying to save the man?"

i looked up at the ceiling and answered "yes."

this time, no beeps came from the machine, and the man, once again, wrote something down on the clipboard.

i sighed, not knowing what could happen. the man took off the pads on my head, hands, and heart, and walked out, taking the device with him. he left the clipboard with walsh on the table.

"we interviewed those other five witnesses there, and they all said the same thing."

he paused, and i stared at him, waiting for him to continue.