Chapter 5

later in the day, after me, johnny, dally, and ponyboy calmed down, two bit came over. he said that my room was ready at his house, and i could move in tonight. we all didn't have anything better to do so we sat around watching cartoons.

"so, where you're from, were you a good fighter? like, could you hold yourself up in a fight?" two bit asked. i was kind of confused by his question, but i answered truthfully. "i mean, yeah, i guess? i had to hold a reputation up at school being a cheerleader and all, so i never got into any real fights."

two bit just looked at me, thinking. "two bit, what you thinking?" ponyboy asked cautiously.
"well, we have that rumble coming up next month, and if ash is a good fighter, we could definitely use another pair of fists." two bit smiled and winked at me.

"oh no, that is NOT happening!" ponyboy stood up.

"why not? if she thinks she can, she should do it!"

"yeah pony, she might be real good." johnny said.

pony looked at me, and i said, "well, now that im a greaser, i need to get used to fighting. and ive always kinda wanted to get into a real fight. im up for it."

two bit whispered "yes!" under his breath and ponyboy just sat down again.

"before you get in that rumble though, you'll need some training." dally said turning to me. "tomorrow, i could help you with that."

"thanks dally, that could really help."

we continued watching cartoons until soda, darry, and steve came back. i know i shouldn't feel awkward around them about what happened earlier in the day, but i did. they walked in and they all just glanced me a sad look. darry made dinner and we all sat down to eat.

"so," sodapop started. "what did you two do today?" he said looking at me and pony. we both looked at each other smiling and we looked over at dally and johnny. dally just rolled his eyes and johnny smiled. soda, darry, steve, and two bit all stared at each other confused. "whatever." soda then said. we continued eating, pulling out a chocolate cake afterwards.

after dinner, two bit decided to take me to his house, since i would be living there for a month. i packed up my things and headed downstairs.

"alright kid, lets head out." two bit said, walking out the door. everyone said goodnight to me, ponyboy giving me a brighter smile than everyone else. i returned the favor and headed out after two bit. he didn't have his car, so we just walked to his house.

"now, we shouldn't run into any trouble as long as we keep our heads down and walk quick."

just the fact that we could possibly get into trouble made me scared. "wh-what kind of trouble?"

"socs are usually out and about at this time of night, filled to the brim with booze and looking for some greasers to scare."

and almost on cue, a blue mustang rolled up behind us. i heard two bit whisper "dammit" and i glared at two bit with a scared expression, and he gave me a look that told me we would be ok. we stopped in our tracks and my instincts shouted at me to run.

"two, why aren't we running?" i said, whispering and turning to face him.

he turned his head to look at me. "if we run, they'll just chase after us and beat us worse than if we would just stay put. and whatever you do, leave the talking to me. got it?"

i looked at him and nodded my head slowly as five socs got out of their car, swaying a bit. they surrounded us, spitting and calling us names. im sure i looked like a nervous wreck, standing in the middle of that damned circle. two bit was oddly calm. he looked tough, real tough. it looked like this type of thing doesn't faze him.

"wow," one of the socs spoke up. "looks like little greaser got em'self a girlfriend."

"she's not my girlfriend asshole." two bit said, lighting a smoke.

"i guess you're right, i didn't even think a greaser like you deserved that piece of crap lookin' one over there." the soc turned his head to look at me.

i didn't care that i was disregarding two bits directions to keep quiet, that statement put me over edge. i stepped forward getting into his face.

"you know, i could look a lot worse. i could look like you."

the soc stepped forward to me, causing me to step back. "you better watch your back little missy." the other four socs left, scared about what would happen. i stepped forward again and i felt two bit grab my arm and whisper "ash!"

"why don't you watch it for me?" i yelled at him.

"oh, thats it, you asked for this!" he yelled back at me. he lunged, and right before he got to me two bit pulled me back with the hand that was already on my arm. the soc fell, and i stood back beside two bit. the soc wobbled trying to stand up and ran towards me again. this time two bit was too late trying to pull me out of the way, and i kicked my leg hard right into... you know... where it hurts on a guy. he hunched over in pain, yelping and screaming and fell to the ground holding his thing. two bit started laughing, which made me laugh. the soc hobbled away into the car, and another soc popped out of the car.

he ran to me, but this time instead of kneeing him in his "place," i punched him square in the jaw. he flew backwards from my punch and i saw blood drip from his nose. "you'll pay for this!" he yelled as he got into the car again and drove off. two bit was throwing his arms into the air, cheering, and he ran up to me and picked me up, swinging me in the air.

"that was fricken AMAZING! you are definitely fighting in that rumble next month!"

he put me down and we continued walking. "so, where did you get that strength to punch that guy and send him flying?" two bit asked.

"im just an overall athletic person. i will have to say i have more leg strength than arm strength, being a runner and a cheerleader."

"now we got two runners in the gang." he turned and smiled at me. we approached two bits house and it was smaller than the curtis house. it looked homey though, and it wasn't a bad place for me to stay. we entered and it was basically just one room. the living room was connected to the kitchen and there were only three doors.

"welcome to your new home for the next month!" two bit exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air. "ill take you to your room!" i followed him through one of the doors and saw a small bed with a small closet. the room wasn't very big and had a small window to the right of my bed. i guess small is the theme for this room.

"i can't thank you enough for letting me stay with you, two. this is one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me."

"its really no big deal. you're real cool, ash, and you're like my new kid sister." i smiled at him and he smiled back. "now get to sleep, its late." he said hitting my arm playfully. i laughed and closed the door as two bit exited. i changed into ponyboy's t-shirt and threw on a pair of shorts. i took my braids out and my hair fell in loads of small waves. i got into bed and slowly drifted to sleep.

hey guys! if you have been reading this story from the beginning, i thank you SO much, your support means a lot! at the time im publishing this, its the day after thanksgiving so if you celebrate it, i hope you all had a great thanksgiving! don't forget to follow, vote, and comment! thanks again for reading!