Chapter 23

"why do you always end up with me at times when i don't need you?" i grumbled.

"what do you mean you dont need me? i am your mother after all." she said with an evil grin.

"well, you've never acted like it." i said while rolling my eyes.

"well ash, these hooligans have caused enough trouble for you, and thats why im bailing you out and taking you home." my mom stated.

the gang looked at me with wide eyes, and for a moment i forgot they were even there.

"i would rather be stuck in jail with people i love visiting me every day than live in your damn house." i said, with tears threatening to slip out.

"the police called me here for a reason, because i am your mother. dont you want a mom to live with?"

"not if you're going to treat me like you did in the past." the tears couldn't hold themselves in any longer, as they slowed rolled down the sides of my cheeks.

"that is nothing you can control. you dont deserve any love, whatsoever. these trash balls over here probably just pity your existence, and thats why they took you in." my mom claimed, sounding so sure of herself.

i was now silently sobbing now, and i looked at the gang to see each and every one of them with tears dripping from their eyes.

"ms. sanders, that is completely incorrect. all we have ever given her is love, something you failed at. you don't know anything." two bit said, his eyes red and glassy.

she paused for a moment, then said "im leaving now. just know, you will end up with me sooner or later, and i will be back." she then stomped away, and when she was completely out of view i ran to the bars of the cell and somehow managed to hug them through the bars. sniffles were the only things heard at that time, but it was interrupted by footsteps and a voice saying "ms. sanders, you are wanted for interrogation."

i didn't want to go to interrogation, i wanted to stay here with the gang.

"dont let them take me." i whispered.

"ash, you have to. just tell the truth and you will be ok." ponyboy whispered back, letting go of my hand.

"i dont want to go." was the last thing i said before the cop grabbed my arm and tugged me out of the cell. i continued to walk with the cop, forcing my tears to cease.

we walked into a little room with a single light hanging from the ceiling above a table with a chair on either side. there was a large mirror on one wall, which i knew to be a one-way mirror.

i sat down on one of the seats, and a man that looked like a detective that popped straight out of a movie walked in.

"hello, im detective joseph walsh. and just because you are a young girl doesn't mean that i wont go easy on you. in fact, i may go harder."

my eyes widened and i hung my head down.

"now ," started joseph. "what were your motives for murdering mr. robert paxton?" he said with low voice, and leaning over the table.

"i didn't do it." i said monotonously.

"this interrogation will go quickly if you just confess and get it over with. now, ill ask again; what were your motives for the murder?"

"now, ill say it again; i. didn't. do it." i said, almost mocking him.

"you got a bad attitude, sweetheart. maybe if we move on to a different question you'll have time to think about it. now, tell me anything you know about your crime."

"first of all, i didn't commit the crime. but ill tell you how it happened. i was watching the drag race with my friend dallas winston, when these four boys walked in. i had a bad feeling about them from the start. then, they started to beat up a man, who im guessing is robert paxton, and i dived in to try and help save him. once sirens were heard, the guys ran and i stayed, trying to help him. and thats why i was found over his body. the end." i said, finishing it off with a light smile.

"that doesn't sound like it really happened." joseph said.

"i don't know how many times i need to tell you; i didn't do it. do a lie detector test on me if you want, or inject me with that crazy truth serum stuff! whatever you do, you will get the same answer. i didn't do it." i growled, not even realizing my harshness.

"every time we prove someone guilty of a crime, they always say that exact same thing. 'do a lie test!' or 'im telling the truth!' if you would just confess, this would all be over. now will you confess or not?"

"i can confess to not doing it. and you've interviewed dallas right? he probably told you the exact same thing i did."

"you guys mentioned you were friends, so he may just be covering your ass."

"ok, well there were about five other witnesses there, why dont you ask them huh?" i asked with a sassy tone.

"because!" he yelled, slamming his fist on the table. the loud bang made me jump back in my seat, and joseph's face softened. he said "you know what, you may be on to something."

"well yeah, even i could have thought of that idea." i scoffed.

"i could send you to jail at any second, don't think you're out of this situation quite yet." the room went quiet and he said, "alright, im done with you for now. go back to your cell."

i stood up, then started to walk out when the same cop that lead me here showed up at the door. "lets go." he grumbled. he grabbed my arm and practically dragged me away. he threw me into my cell and said "you'll probably have to stay here overnight."

"overnight?" i questioned.

"yep, but get used to it, because when you're found guilty you'll be spending a hell of a lot more nights in one of these cells."

"how do you know i'll be found guilty? oh yeah, thats right. you don't."

"watch your mouth missy." he said, locking my cell and walking away. i sighed and looked around for a clock, and i saw one just barely in view from my cell. it read "10:00."

"ten o'clock at night? its already that late?" i thought to myself. i sat down on the crappy cushion that was supposed to be a bed and realized how tired i was. i laid down, but sleep didn't find me easy. with the loud sounds of the active police station around me and the horrible thoughts racing through my head, it was almost impossible to fall asleep. and not to mention the extremely uncomfortable cushion.

eventually, my thoughts gave in to the clawing exhaustion and sleep found me.

hey guys! thank you all for 3k reads! don't forget to vote, comment, and follow, and thanks for reading!