Convincing stories

Start from the beginning

"Why the hell were you bleeding then?" I ask him, why he faces my office.

"I was bleeding because of that bastard who I called father for twenty eight years." He was twenty eight?

I can't believe that I know his personality, and that I can predict him, but I still don't know his history; yet, I am carrying his baby.

"Pops hurt you?" I ask, tilting my head.

"He kidnapped me, and tortured me for days, asking me to sign papers. I told him I didn't know anything, and that was when he told me everything." He says, his hands clenching into fists.

"What do you mean?" I ask, trying to get out his embrace so that he could open the door. He shifts me further up, so that the middle of his arm was supporting my weight. He refuses to let me go, turning the door knob with his hand.

"My mother— my birth mother— her father, my grandfather gave her all of his earnings. He refused to give Prakash anything because he had figured out that man was a snake. So my mother, who knew that her brother will kill her for her inherited riches, passed on the properties and our family business in her name to mine in her will. Her lawyer informed this to Prakash after he killed my mother." Aniket is shedding tears by now, not caring to wipe them away as another teardrop replaces the first.

"Wait a minute! So your father didn't actually try to kill you mother— your birth mother I mean."

"She has a name. I didn't even know her name for twenty eight years. She was beautiful, you know? My father showed me a picture. Her name was Divya. 

"That's a beautiful name, Aniket."

"And the reason she isn't with me today, and the reason she couldn't meet you, or our baby is because Prakash killed her. But in all this, do you know what's the worst?"

He pauses, waiting for me to ask. When I don't, he continues.

"My own sister and best friend are plotting against me. They have been plotting against me for my whole life, and I've been such a easy target."

"I don't understand, Aniket. You father told you about Kanya?"

Aniket nods a yes, but looks at me quizzically, and his eyes widen in realization.

I should really learn to filter my thoughts around him.

"You knew!" He accuses, placing me on the sofa bed in my office. He turns around suddenly, facing the window with his hands in his sweat pants. "I guess I can add you to the list too. You've also hid things from me."

"I did not betray you, Aniket." Aniket turns halfway, looking at me and snorting.

"Really? Do you need a dictionary definition of betrayal?" He asks, venom pouring from every word. It poisons me, and I stand, anger ravishing me until I'm unable to cope with his idiotic accusations.

"I kept things from you, because I thought I was trying to help you by hiding the fact that you were adopted!"

"It doesn't matter. If you were really faithful, you would have told me, knowing that I would be hurt regardless of when I got to know! Were you ever going to tell me?"

Faithful? What is he blabbering in about?

"Aniket, I feel like you are speaking in double meaning."

"Damn right I am! Who is this Aarav?" He hollers.

"He's a friend. Alisha likes him, so I consider him my future brother in law." I tell him straightforwardly, my voice clear and loud. I do not want him to think that I'm lying to him. It will make him feel more betrayed.