Leaving Vietnam

(A/N: This is the last chapter before the epilogue.)

Soda's POV

Once we were on the plane, we all sat down. I was next to Pony and Darry. Two-Bit was sitting across from us, while Steve, Johnny, and Dally were sitting behind us.

Pony and I had a small conversation about everything that happened in Vietnam until we both fell asleep. Before our conversation ended, Pony said, "I'm so glad we're together and alive, Soda."

I said, "Me too. I missed being around you, since we were separated most of the time."

"Ditto."

"Night, Pony."

"Night, Soda."

Then I whispered, "Night, Darry."

"Night, Soda."

I couldn't stop thinking about Pony. It feels nice to be close to him again and not have to worry about either of us dying. We went through a lot in Vietnam. I still have scars from being a POW, and Pony does, too. We're alive, so that's what counts.

================================

Pony's POV

About a day later, we arrived back in Tulsa.

It was as we left it. Except there were a lot of hippies. Luckily, none of us were in uniform, so they couldn't look at us in disgust. I heard about what was going on back in the states, and I didn't like it one bit.

We got on the bus to our neighborhood, and when we got there, I saw our house. It looked the same, and Darry's car was in the driveway. As much as I wanted to be home, it just didn't feel right.

Soda noticed what I was thinking and said, "Don't worry, Pony. Darry, Two-Bit, Johnny, and I felt the same way when we came back. But you'll get used to it again. Savvy?"

I looked at him. "Yeah. I savvy."

"Good. Lets go get some sleep."

When we parked, all of us went into the house. Surprisingly, it was still as clean as when we left.

After saying goodnight and giving more hugs to everyone, Soda and I headed to our room. I immediately flopped on the bed after taking my clothes off and changing into a different shirt. Soda laid down beside me after doing the same thing, and I scooted closer to him. He put his arm around me, and we fell asleep.

When we woke up the next day, Darry was up making breakfast.

"Hey, Darry. How'd you sleep last night?"

"Pretty well. How about you?"

"Better than I've slept in a long time."

"That's good to hear."

After I set the table, my brothers, the gang, and I sat down and practically devoured breakfast. Then, we all headed our separate ways.

When I thought it was an appropriate time to ask, I walked to Darry's room. I knocked, and he answered.

"Hey Pone, what's up?"

"I have a question," I said, while sitting down on his bed.

"Okay, shoot."

"Do you think it would be a good idea if I go back to school?"

"If you want to, Ponyboy. I'm not going to pick you, especially since we just got back. You been thinking about it?"

"Yeah. After being in Vietnam, I don't think I can sit around the house all day anymore."

"Yeah, that's true. Well, you do what you gotta do."

I started getting up to leave, and before I left, I said, "Thanks, Darry."

"For what?"

"Everything."

He got up to hug me, and I hugged him back hard.

"You're welcome, kiddo. I would do anything for you guys."

We smiled at each other before I left.

Then, I decided to go to my room and start writing my own story. It began like this:

"I woke up in the morning still lying next to Soda. I was really groggy, and I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes while looking around the room...."

================================

A/N: Before I get to the epilogue, I just want to say I enjoyed writing this story, and I hope you guys enjoyed it, too. I had a lot of writer's block, so that's why it's taking me so long to finish it. There's one more chapter to go!

Stay Gold||Liz