Wild Things

Ponyboy's POV

   Suddenly, I wake up, and it's white all around me. At first, I think I'm in the hospital, but then I realize I can walk. I get up from the floor, and I look at my surroundings. There's no one around. It's as quiet as can be.

I start walking down the long white hallway, and there's still nothing. Just white walls.

I wonder what the gang is doing right now. They're probably in the jungle fighting them stupid gooks still. I wouldn't be surprised. I wonder what Darry and Soda are thinking right now. I'm probably still in the hospital; especially since I'm definitely not awake.

Hopefully I'll get out of this place soon.

================================

Soda's POV

When I come around, I'm no longer in the dark dungeon. I'm in a long white hallway, and it's as quiet as can be. I sigh. Well, at least this is better than getting the shit beat out of me.

I think I hear something in the distance.

I ask, "Hello?"

Nothing.

I shrug. Maybe it's just my imagination.

But what happens next is not my imagination.

================================

Ponyboy's POV

I sit down on one of the benches and put my head in my hands. I've been here for awhile and don't even know what time it is. I'm starting to get bored of this place.

Then, I hear someone ask, "Hello?"

I don't move or say anything.

A little while later, I hear crying. I go toward the noise, and I ask, "Hello?"

Nothing.

But then, I see something in the distance. It turns out to be a someone, and once the person gets closer, I can see it's.....SODAPOP?!

"SODA?!"

"PONYBOY?!"

I start running, and before I know it, I'm in his arms. He's swinging me around, and his shoulders are shaking. He's crying, and I can feel warm tears dripping down my face.

"Oh, Pony...."

"Soda....why're you here?"

"Shit, that's right. You don't know."

I pale, and my body goes completely numb.  "Know what?"

He sighs, and we pull back; his eyes automatically fill with tears again.

What he says next makes me want to kill those gook bastards.

"I got taken, like you did. The guy who took me was one of your captors; he must've gotten out. The guy drenched me in water and then electrocuted me with his cattle prod, he whipped me, punched me, kicked me, and cut me. A lot. I thought I was going to die the first day I was down there. I was unconscious for most of it, but then I fell into a coma. I guess that's what happens when you're in a coma; you end up here. Now I know how you felt; alone and afraid."

By the time he finished, the tears kept coming and wouldn't stop. He was crying, too.

I manage to choke out, "Jesus Christ, Soda....I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You don't deserve this. None of us deserve this."

"I know, Pony. It's not your fault. And hey, we're in this together. We got each other's back. You savvy?"

"Yeah, I savvy."

"Now my question is: how do we get out of here?"

"I don't know."

Then, a big flash of light comes out of nowhere, and a lady appears. Soda and I glance at each other, and we face the lady. She doesn't bother with introductions.

"If you want to get out of here, you have to think of your happiest memory. If you think about that, a doorway will appear, and you will wake up. I wish you the best of luck."

She disappeared as soon as she came.

I start thinking about my happiest memory. It was just when Soda, Darry, and I reunited in the hospital after Windrixville. Soda must've been thinking the same thing, because a doorway appeared out of nowhere.

Soda stands in front of me and grabs my hands.

"Ponyboy, listen to me. When you wake up, come and find me. From what I've seen, I'm close to where you were taken captive. Okay? I love you so much."

He pulls me into a hug, and I say, "I will. I love you too, Soda."

I hug him for a long time. There's tears leaking out of my eyes when we let go, and there's tears on his face, too.

As soon as we let go, he holds out his hand, and I take it as we walk through the doorway.

A flash of light comes out of nowhere, and I let out a huge gasp of air.