One is Going Home

Ponyboy's POV

After they rush Soda to the back of the hospital, we go back to the waiting room, upset and tired. Half of us fall asleep, waiting for any news on Soda.

When I come around, Darry is talking to someone, and he sounds upset. I stand up and walk over to him.

"What's going on, Dar?"

"I don't know, little colt. They're refusing to give me any information."

"What do you mean they're refusing to give you any information?"

The doctor says, "We are currently observing him, and we're only half way through observing him. We'll let you know as soon as we're done."

I sigh. "Okay."

We give up and go back into the waiting room.

Later on, the doctor comes and tells us that Soda is going to be okay. I nearly faint from relief.

The doctor tells us that in Soda's condition, it would just be better if they sent him back Stateside. Both Darry and I agreed.

When we went back to the waiting room, we told the guys everything. They also agreed that Soda should get sent back Stateside.

Once everything had calmed down, we all fell asleep. I slept peacefully for the first time in a while. When I wake up in the morning, Darry's already awake with coffee in hand and is reading a letter. My guess is that the letter is telling us that we have to go back to fighting. As if Darry read my mind, he said, "Yup. We have to go back."

I sigh as the rest of the guys start waking up. I ask, "When?"

"This afternoon."

"What about Soda?" Steve asks.

"They're going to send him home once he wakes up. Which hopefully will be soon."

"Yeah, I just want him to go home and be happy," I say.

There are nods and murmurs of agreement.

Just as we finish talking, a nurse comes walking toward us, and she's smiling.

"Your brother is awake. You can see him now."

================================

Darry's POV

A nurse comes walking toward us, and she's smiling.

"Your brother is awake. You can see him now."

All of us stand up and follow the nurse back to Soda's room.

When we get to the room, the nurse opens the door and leaves.

We all walk in, and I can't keep the tears from falling.

"Hey, Pepsi-Cola."

"Hey, Darry."

"How're you holding up?"

"I'm okay at the moment. Petrified, sure, but other than that I'm feeling okay."

"That's good to hear. I was scared that we'd lose you like we almost lost Pony."

Soda sighs. "Yeah. But what matters is that we're both here and alive."

He reaches to grab Pony's hand and squeezes hard. "Damn right."

They're both crying, and I can't help myself.

I walk over and carefully pull both of them into a hug. They hug back and we stay like that until Steve clears his throat.

"Hey, we need some time with him, too."

We all chuckle as Steve comes over and gives Soda a hard hug.

"Hey, buddy. Ya miss me?"

"Hell yeah."

There's a moment of silence, and then they pull apart.

"So," Soda begins. "What's happening now?"

"They're sending you back to the states this afternoon."

His eyes widen, and he asks, "Seriously?"

"Yup. You're going home."

He grins at me, and I can't help but smile back.

"Are you guys staying until then?"

"Of course. We're not leaving for anything."

Shortly after we told Soda the news, we all sat down and relaxed. I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that both my kid brothers were taken and beaten by those stupid gooks. They didn't deserve it. This shouldn't have happened; they're just kids.

All of us fall asleep in a matter of minutes, because we're so tired.

================================

Pony's POV

When I woke up, Darry was helping a very tired Soda get dressed but was failing. I stood up and started helping Darry. Once Soda was dressed, we sat down again.

I'm happy that my brother gets to head back to the states. After all the hell we've been through, we deserve one good break. And this is it; Soda is going home.

================================

An hour later, Soda was packing up. We waited until he was done, and then we took him to the airport. There, we said all our goodbyes. I wish we could stay together, but I'd rather have Soda stay safe. Once we get near security check, Soda says, "Well, this is it."

My eyes fill up with tears, and I try to keep myself together. I fail miserably and run to Soda while sobbing. He pulls me into a hug, and I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Stay safe, Pony."

"I will, Soda."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Soon enough, Darry wraps his arms around the both of us, and we stand there for a good five minutes before letting go.

When we pull back, Darry says, "Although I wish they would let Pony join you and fly back Stateside, I'm glad that one of us is going to be happy again."

"Ditto."

Then, the rest of the guys hug him, and he tells us to stay safe. After, we watch him leave.