Amnesia

Steve's POV

The ride to the hospital was quick, since it wasn't too far from our base. Once we got there, they took Pony into the hospital for surgery. That's right; I said surgery. Apparently, the bullet pierced his right lung, and they need to do a lung transplant.

(A/N: I don't know much about this stuff, so it may not be right).

When I reached the entrance, I went to the waiting room. I rubbed my face and sighed.

================================

Darry's POV

A few weeks after we got back, things started getting better. I went back to my normal job, and Soda did, too. Two-Bit was on bed rest for three weeks because of his "incident."

One night, we were relaxing and watching tv, just having a normal day. Soda was eating cake, and Two-Bit was laying on the couch. Johnny was laying on the floor. We were all watching Mickey when there was a knock at the door. Two-Bit grabbed the remote and turned the tv down while I got up to see who was at the door.

When I opened the door, there was a soldier in uniform standing there.

"Darrel Curtis? Ponyboy Curtis' older brother?"

"Yeah, that's me."

"Well, I regret to inform you that your brother, Ponyboy Curtis, has been shot."

"What?" By this time, Soda is standing behind me. "Where is he?"

"He's at the hospital in South Vietnam."

"Could we go see him?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm here."

"Okay. Let's go."

Two-Bit, Soda, Johnny, and I got our shoes on and then followed the man out the door. In the car, he said, "By the way, I'm Officer Peter."

"Nice to meet you."

"Ditto."

We ride to the airport and then get on the airplane. Soda was close to tears the whole way there.

We were both thinking the same thing: not again.

He's in the hospital, and we don't even know what happened this time.

Once we got on the airplane, we all sat down and fell asleep.

I woke up a few hours later when I heard Soda whimpering. He was sweating and shaking like crazy. I shook him, and he didn't wake up.

"Soda?"

No response.

Then I smacked him, and he shot up. He was crying.

"Hey, Pepsi-Cola. It's alright."

Then I hugged him. He cried against my shoulder, and we stayed like that while we fell asleep again.

The next time we woke up, we had landed in Southern Vietnam.

I shook Soda awake, and he groaned. "Five more minutes, Darry."

"Nope, we're here."

That got him up. I woke up the guys next, and once they were awake, we rushed off the airplane to the hospital.

When we got inside, Steve shot out of his seat and ran toward us.

================================

Steve's POV

As soon as I saw the guys walk through the front doors, I ran up to them. Soda caught me in a bear hug and squeezed me hard.

Superman hugged me next. Then, Johnny and Two-Bit.

Once we were done, Darry asked, "Where is he? What happened?"

So, I explained everything to them; from when the land mines started blowing up to when we got here. By the time I'm finished, they look like they're gonna be sick. Then I tell them about the surgery.

Darry asks, "How long has he been in surgery?"

"Well," I begin. "He's out of surgery now, but he was there for hours. The only information they've given me is that the surgery was a success. They haven't told me anything else since Tuesday, which was two days ago. I've been here since, bugging doctors for information. I don't know what's keeping them from telling me."

Darry sighs. "Well, at least he's out of surgery."

Then, a nurse came down the hallway. "For Ponyboy Curtis?"

We all turned toward her. "Yeah, that's us."

She sighs. "Well, as you know, Ponyboy's surgery was a success. He's stable, with only a small concussion and a bullet wound that should heal within a month or two. He was unconscious for two days, which is why we haven't given you any information. Ponyboy is awake now, so if you'd like to see him, go ahead."

We all let out a sigh of relief.

Darry says, "Thank you. What room is he in?"

"Room 298."

We all start walking to his room with the nurse following behind us. We take the elevator up to the second floor, and we search for his room. It's right near the end of the hallway. When we walk into the room, he's sitting up with a bandage wrapped around his head while reading a book. He looks up when we enter the room. He looks at the nurse and then back at us. He grins as he says, "Hello. Who are you?"

I feel my heart drop into my stomach.

The nurse says, "Ah. I forgot to mention that Ponyboy is experiencing long term amnesia. The impact from the rock damaged the limbic system, which has affected his memory."

We all freeze. He won't remember us?