Chapter 16

I was almost done with the packing; I grabbed for a peach colored night gown and stuffed it in.

Nightgown- check

Toiletries- check

Extra clothes- check.

The thought of spending a night with Rowan at his house was exciting yet overwhelming. The entire week had been busy until I could prepare myself for the day, I got a call from Claire reminding me about their family dinner where I was invited according to her. I had a weird feeling about it, I mean, c'mon I didn't know these people and clearly Rowan didn't get along with them but Claire told me it was important I come along with him, if that baggage of worry wasn't enough, I had another 100 kg baggage to worry about and that was spending the night with him. I was all mixed emotions, the anxiety and the excitement almost killing me.

When I was done with dinner and a bit of the weekend homework, I got a call on my cell phone.

"Hey."

"Hi, Alana." Nina spoke softly from the other end; she would usually show up at the doorstep for even minor problems like, 'I need an extra HB pencil'. It was a wonder; she was placing a call from a floor below. "What are you doing?"

"Packing for tomorrow."

"Of course you are." She sounded pale like she was speaking with a huge rock pressing her back, "Listen, Uh—would you believe me if I told you something?"

"Is this about Chez?" that was my first guess.

"It's about Rowan." She corrected me quickly.

That had me wishing my battery was dead or the network was bad.

I ran a hand through my hair, "Shoot."

"Do you know where he is at the moment?"

My heart went thump thump thump, "No, I don't. Do you?"

"I was at a cafe with Chez just a while ago," Now Chez was hanging out with Nina? Awesome. I was the only one without an invitation card. Even though I liked Chez and Nina together, the thought of my best friend hanging out with someone else while ignoring me was eating me alive. "And we were just leaving when I saw Mr. Masters with that same woman, y'know, the one we saw that other day you were playing Nancy Drew."

I started to speak but she cut me off, "They were busy in a heated conversation and then they both left in his car."

That was like worse than a punch in the gut, "What time was it?"

"Huh? Twenty minutes ago, it's not like I'm bitching about your boyfriend or saying he is cheating on you. She might just be his old friend..."

"Ex-girlfriend." I confirmed her doubt.

"What?"

"That woman is his ex-girlfriend." Who apparently didn't have a name.

"Oh I see. I just wanted you to know about it, Alana."

"Yeah, I get it. Thanks Nina."

"Oh my God! Al? Are you crying?" I could almost imagine her tumble off the bed in exaggeration, "Listen, I know Rowan loves you okay? Don't you misunderstand; you'll have to speak with him."

"I'm not crying silly, I'm just not feeling fine." I needed to make a call urgently, "I'm going to bed."

"Should I come over?" the offer was great but I needed to pull those Nancy Drew instincts now and fast.

"No. No. Just stay." I tried to sound ultra cool, "and..."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for being so understanding, Nina, it means a lot."