Chapter 36

Readers Caution: Chapter gets a little steamier towards the end ;)

Rowan

Sofia drove a nice sleek black Cadillac SUV. Currently, I maneuvered the car through the smooth roads of Copenhagen, breathing the first air of freedom since the last five months. It felt great to listen to songs as I drummed my fingers on the wheel to the unfamiliar Danish songs.

    Since my stay in Denmark, I'd become quite accustomed to listening to the music and I really enjoyed it. It was quite rare for a patient from the rehab to get a chance to be outside during a therapy, but Sofia had made an exception and done me a huge favor which was quite unexpected considering the amount drilling I've had to listen to because Sofia knew that Alana was lethal, the kind of a drug far addictive then cocaine could ever be for me. She knew I would throw it all away for just being with Alana.

     Sofia trusted me, and I wasn't going to disappoint her. 

    I parked the car right in front of the hostel that Alana was staying in. I kind of felt bad that I couldn't even pay for a nice suite during her stay. I thought at least I could make our date special. Denmark was pretty expensive, be it the hotels or the food, and I'd been apprehensive when my father offered to pay for one of the best private rehabilitations in the world. Although I had promised him that I would pay for it, I didn't think it was possible in the future with a professors salary. 

    I snapped back from my thoughts when my eyes spotted her in a distance, making her way towards the car. Alana was dressed in a maroon knee length sweater dress and high heels. The dress hugged her body perfectly, like it was made just for her. Her usual wavy hair was straightened out and the color of her lips matched the color of her dress. She never wore much makeup, but today she seemed to have worked some magic there and done some tricks.

   Alana passed me her heart melting smile as she slid into the passenger seat.

   "Hey." She smiled at me.

   "Hey, beautiful. You look stunning." I said as I pecked her lips.

     "Thank you, Rowan."

     She looked so much older than her age, almost like she was twenty-six give or take. Sex shouldn't have been on my mind at that moment, but all I could think about was how I could get her out of that dress. I wished at that point of time that life shouldn't have been so complicated. That Alana was twenty something, and not an ex-student.

    What if she hadn't been my student at all, and someone who was an adult? Were the feelings that Alana harbored for me a mere infatuation? The kind of emotion that would fade with time when love wouldn't be a priority anymore. If I thought of giving up again, would she still be beside me?

   "Earth to Rowan!" She waved her hand at me. "Are you still here?"

    "I was just thinking about how lucky I'm to have you." I said as I leaned in to peck her lips, the familiar fragrance of cherry blossom made me nostalgic. I recalled the first time we had gone on a date.

    "Oh no. I think I'm the lucky one here." She said, and my heart melted for a second. I didn't want to break her heart.

       "Where do you want to go?" I asked trying to change the tracks.

       "Any place that serves Danish food."

      "Well, I know just the place."

****

           I took Alana to Nyhaven, a place which stretched the harbor and was lined by bars, restaurants and cafes. I'd visited this place years ago when I was a college student myself but I never had a chance to see how romantic it actually was with the boats lined up lapping over the calm waters. The lights from the bars illuminated and reflected the water, seeming like rare stones glistening. The restaurant was bustling with patrons who were busy boozing and having a good time. Alana seemed really impressed by the place. I led her inside the bar and we settled down in a secluded corner that overlooked the harbor.