Chapter Nine: Book

Depuis le début

"What?" I pushed her, annoyed at the gaze she held on me

"He likes you" She shot as she wiggled her eyebrows.

"How do you figure?" I shook my head

"Oh c'mon as if you can't see it" She dramatically threw her head back exaggerating the situation. If I was honest with myself, then no, I couldn't see it. I'd spent so long alone, that I'd forgotten what romance was, what hope was, what anything remotely close to intimacy was. It wasn't something I needed right now, it was the furthest thing on my mind since the outbreak.

"I can't, honestly" I told her as she stared at me suspiciously

"Wow" She sighed "You really are lost"

"Does it even matter?" I shrugged, returning my eyes to my knife in hand

"Well it does a little, I mean, if he did, would you even care?"

I shook my head once again "No"

"Why on earth would you not?"

"Because I don't have time"

"Don't have time?" She repeated incredulously

"There are more important things to be focusing on" I told her with a sigh, shoving my knife back into my belt as I shuffled off the bench top

"Just when I think I'm starting to understand you" Keira mumbled as she shook her head

"I wouldn't bother with that either" I told her as I began walking off, leaving her standing in place, her face contorted as she took my phrase as an insult.

I knew it sounded harsh, but it didn't matter. None of this social business mattered. Or so I needed to keep telling myself.

Everywhere I turned, stood a person, a person that would either stare at me with an indescribable expression or a person that attempted to woo me with some form of conversation. I wasn't interested in being in either one of those positions, so I did what I rarely did in threatening situations, I fled.

Walking past the faces, I ignored the voices, the remarks and made my way to the front of the store where Arden and his men sat, only this time a whole lot more comfortably. Arden sat on a front counter, leaned against the wall as he read over a map with Ronan over his shoulder, studying their future moves. Jaxon lie completely flat on the next isle counter, his arms and legs dangling over the edges as he stared at his blade bravely held above his face. Then there was Jesse, always the furthest from his friends. Jesse sat on top of a counter at the far right of the store, his left leg hanging over the edge as he traced his fingertips over the edge of his sword blade. They looked relaxed, calm as they kept guard at the front of the store, just in case.

The sun had completely vanished a little longer than two hours ago. It was now pitch black outside, silent and empty. Few candles and lamps had been lit inside, giving the giant room a small glow as all but Arden and his army of men settled in for the night. I could see Austin and his brother towards the side of the store, sitting against the wall with their eyes closed. Jarod looked as though he was deep in sleep, his stomach rising and falling slow and steadily. Whereas, Austin remained to twitch, his jaw moving slightly as his chest rose and fell a little faster. Every time I looked towards Austin, I felt the sudden itch to charge him with my bare fist as he sat oblivious to my threat. I didn't like the kid, I didn't like his attitude, and I found it hard to simply allow him continual whining privileges.

"Where are you going?" A voice broke through my thoughts of jumping Austin

I was near the front door, edging closer mindlessly.