Chapter 24

Lachlan's PoV
It only took a few moments for the room to get filled with doctors. 'How did they get here so fast with all the confusing twists and turns?' I thought briefly as I was pushed from side to side. At some point, somebody grabbed me and threw me out, slamming the door behind me.

The Nurse on patrol saw me and grabbed my arm, yelling as she pulled me away. But all I could think about was Layla and what could possibly happen to her now...

Layla's PoV
I felt helpless as I saw Lachlan leave, even if it was just his ghostly form. (He's not a ghost, Layla just thinks that). Now, I was being bombarded with what seemed like hundreds of people all at once.

I felt vulnerable as they surrounded me, masks covering their faces and rubbery white gloves shielding their hands. They began to shout medical terms that I didn't really understand; it was scaring me.

One of them, possibly a woman, was telling me to calm down in a kind, soothing voice. But how could I? With everything going on around me, it felt impossible to stay calm. I could feel tears streaming down my face. The same person noticed and started to shush me. Why was everyone shushing me?

Suddenly, something sharp seemed to stab me in the arm. My eyes widened in pain and shock as I tried to move away, but I couldn't. The second it left my skin, my entire arm throbbed. For a second, I worrier about what was going to happen to me, before I became extremely exhausted and fell asleep for some strange reason.

A few hours later

Layla's PoV
I opened my eyes; only to quickly cover them with a hand as the bright lights blinded me. A quick look around told me that I was in the same room as before. It took me a few seconds to realise that I could now move.

The second I sat up, I checked that I wasn't tied to the bed in any way. I sighed in relief as I discovered no bonds. It was only then that I looked to my left and saw a person sitting on a chair with their head down.

Judging by the large brown shoes and blond messy hair, I could already guess who it was. I stared for what seemed like an eternity before finding the courage to open my mouth. "Lachlan?" I whispered. At that, he immediately shot up as if he'd been waiting for that moment for many years.

With a smile of  joy, he bear hugged me with a strong grip. I wrapped my arms around him too. He was crushing my frail, weak body but I didn't protest. I was too happy to see him, alive.

"I-I thought you were dead!" I stuttered between sniffles. I had my hand on his shoulder now, squeezing it ever so slightly, just to confirm he was real. He was about to say something, when the door opened and in walked a nurse. She asked for my details then left.

"Why did you panic when I first walked into the room?" I smiled and looked down, embarrassed. I heard the heart rate monitor (which I had finally worked out was the source of the beeping) slightly go up. Thankfully, it wasn't too noticeable.

Reluctantly, I gave in. "Honestly, I thought you were a ghost." I said. He burst into laughter at my answer. His laugh was very goofy and caused me to laugh in return. Then he began to wiggle his fingers towards me, making 'scary' noises, pretending to be a ghost.

I ended up laughing even harder, clutching my stomach as I watched him be silly. Still giggling, he said, "I can't believe you thought I was a ghost." In reply, I said, "Well, with how pale you are, you could pass as one." It was a little savage and I feared that I went too far but then he gasped in mock hurt and replied to my comment with, "Looked in the mirror recently?"

I laughed off his comment and he laughed as well. Watching him laugh gave me comfort that he was alive and a joy that nobody else could really understand.

_________________________
Hope I cleared up a bit of confusion. Make sure to tell me what you think of this chapter💕

(Wattpad readers, thankyou for 1k reads, I appreciate it a lot🙂💖)