Chapter 19

Lachlan's PoV
I decided to only run for a little while after escaping the gate. After looking back a thousand times, I realised that I wasn't being followed and that I should conserve my energy for the long road ahead.

I began to jog instead but I noticed that Layla was lurching up and down as I went along; however, I couldn't slow down. Her state was too bad and if I didn't get her medical help soon, she would die. So despite my utter exhaustion, I kept a steady pace.

The pain in my hands was still excruciating but the blood was leaking into Layla's clothes which gave my wounds some sort of healing aspect. I felt a little bad but I couldn't hold Layla in any other way. Besides, she didn't (or more like couldn't) say anything against it.

As I walked, I tried to distract myself with comforting thoughts. I imagined getting an Avoca mocha with Preston. I imagined seeing my sister and parents after so long and feeling happiness. I imagined reading nice comments on my videos and pictures.

I remember planning to fly to Canada so that I could surprise Rob and have so much fun with him. Even seeing all the things that pesky fans would tag me in sounded wonderful compared to my current situation.

But unfortunately, I couldn't hear Rob's laugh as I surprise him. All I could hear was the crunching of the grass as I jogged along. And I couldn't see my parents happy faces. All I could see was the building in front of me that seemed to get further away instead of closer.

With every happy thought that I had, it became clearer and clearer to me that despite escaping the Man's clutches, I have no hope for escaping...wherever I am.

After a while, I checked on Layla because I couldn't hear her breathing. Then I saw her chest rising and falling and I felt relieved.

Somewhere in my heart, I knew that her wound was fatal and that death was right around the corner for her. But I couldn't bring myself to leaving her in the middle of nowhere to die, even if her slowing me down could possibly be the death of me too.

Suddenly, I heard something and stopped. They were coming from behind me...and they definitely weren't mine. When I turned around, I was half hoping that there was somebody who could help me but when I saw the Man's evil face, I had almost already predicted it.

I didn't hesitate another second. I just kept running, my grip on Layla getting looser with every jolt forward. At this point, I could barely hear the crunching sounds from the Man both because of my own crunching noises and the loud beating of my heart. I had a strong feeling that he was still following me though.

Layla was gripping her stomach with one hand and my chest with the other, a look of great pain on her face. I was stumbling greatly but I had good reason for it.

My feet were sore from slapping against the ground and my legs were throbbing with pain. Even my arms were straining from having to grip Layla.

But as I ran, I started to become unsure if he was still following me. Although they say to never turn around when being chased, I couldn't help myself. I was tired and in pain so I wasn't thinking clearly.

I kept at a good pace and turned around. He was following me alright but he was quite far, like a figure in the far distance yet still visible.

In my joy, I stumbled again. But this time, I fell. Everything seemed to slow down as Layla flew out of my arms, my legs gave out and my arms flayed in the air as if trying to grip it. I gave an involuntary, "WOAH!" As I fell head first onto the metal of the train tracks in front of me.

_________________________
Guys, I'm sorry for the shitty chapter but I'm depressed and I couldn't concentrate. But I hope you enjoyed anyway💖