Chapter 17

Lachlan's PoV
My feet were glued to the ground and my whole body shook with fear. I was sure to die. I knew that this was the end for me. As he took each step, my heart beat rapidly. I'd never felt so much fear in my entire life.

Then I looked down at poor Layla lying in my arms. She dug her head into my chest, getting a little closer to me. She made eye contact with me as if trying to give me comfort.

Then she began to lift her hand up to my face. It seemed like an action that caused her a bit of pain but I didn't stop her. She brought her thumb to my face and wiped away tears which I barely even noticed myself.

Although she was weak, she had a look of determination in her eyes as if she was ready to take on the Man herself. At that moment, I knew that I may die but my fear wasn't because of that. My fear was that I'd be leaving this poor, innocent girl in the evil clutches of the Man.

Suddenly, the door creaked open and I saw his shadow cast over the floor. I couldn't see him clearly because the door blocked my view. At this point, my heart was beating so loudly that I thought it would give away my hiding spot.

After a few seconds - which seemed to feel like hours - he grunted in frustration, turned and left.

I stayed where I was, paralysed in shock. I had been absolutely certain that death was my fate and the fact that I was alive wasn't being processed yet. After a few seconds, when I could no longer hear his footsteps, I exhaled, remembering how to breathe again.

Layla's head was still snuggled into my chest and and she closed her eyes, relieved as much as I was. We stayed like this for about a minute, in complete silence before I had the courage to peak my head out of the door.

Without another second to lose, I practically sprinted through the corridor, my happiness stoping me from remembering that my feet were making a lot of noise.

There was a unique door at the end of the corridor with a bar on it. I tried to push open the door but it was a hard task with Layla in my arms. After what seemed like forever, I hot it open and breathed in the fresh air with joy, almost screaming in happiness at my luck.

But then I realised, I was in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't really see much because of the lack of light outside but then Layla spoke. "I saw a building in the far north from here." She said with traces of pain in her voice.

Sure enough, there was a building in the distance. Not really seeing any other option, I started towards it. My feet were crunching against the dry grass as I walked.

As I continued to walk, I found myself at a gate. I stood in front of it to examine it properly. It wasn't very tall and I was quite capable to climb it but I already knew that it would be impossible to climb with Layla in my arms.

"You can... leave me Lachlan... escape." She said with effort. I didn't even think about it, I just simply replied, "There is no way I would leave you here. You're stuck with me kiddo." She smiles at my comment, trying to hide her pain.

With that, I began to walk along the gate. However, I was continuously looking back to see if danger in its most frightening form was trailing, looking to capture us once again.

_________________________
Sorry that this update was kind of short. For all of those who want the romance, don't worry, the intense chapters are coming to an end. Also, a happy new year to all of you and I'll see you in 2019💖