Chapter 37: The Heart of Neverland

Bright sunlight trickles through the leaves where the boys once stood. The neatly packed luggage is stacked on the side of the clearing. Peter and Wind are picking through it, trying to find something to eat. They are still shaky from the release of magic a few hours ago. My right hand is trembling slightly, but I force myself to move forward and help Wind unfasten knots. A bag of fruit tumbles to the ground, and a few ivory pears spill out.

"Thanks," Wind mutters.

Tossing an ivory pear to Peter, I bite into the velvety skin. The honied flesh flows like silk over my tongue. I can feel my body stabilizing as energy flows back into the essence. As my spirit spark is rennervated, my hand begins to steady.

"I feel like I could sleep for a week." Peter yawns, stretching his lanky frame.

"Not here you won't." I cross my arms over my chest. "It's time for you to leave."

"Are you taking us to the fount now?" Wind asks, still slumped on the ground by the baggage.

"Yes." I hold out my hands. "Let's get this over with as quickly and painlessly as possible, so we make sure you never return again."

"Not even for a quick luncheon or brunch?" Peter grins at my baleful glare. "And here I was thinking that we were just starting to be friends again."

Wind wearily pushes herself off the ground and crosses to me. Her slumped shoulders and glazed expression are contrary to her usual rigid posture and sharp mind. Channeling her dark magic for a healing of light must have fatigued her more than casting her usual spells. Her many braids are starting to unravel, and her hair hangs limply. Dark circles hang in bags under her clouded eyes.

"Are you all right?"

"She's fine," Peter answers my question before Wind can reply. "She's merely weary from the magic. We aren't used to healing on such a scale."

"So I gather." I arch an eyebrow at Peter. "You seem to be recovering much more rapidly though."

Peter shrugs. "I've always had a sturdy constitution. I didn't know you were so interested in my health." He winks cheekily at me. "Are you sure that you want to send me away? Would you prefer to stand around for a few more hours and discuss my wellbeing? I knew that you were growing attached to me."

I still can't shake the feeling that something is strange about Wind, but I brush off my concerns. After what she has done to me, she is certainly none of my concern. I am not obligated to take care of her. My duty lies with my island. I am responsible for Neverland. Removing everyone from my world will ensure its safety.

"Take my hands," I order tersely.

Wind and Peter comply, and I lift us into the air. Once we have cleared the treetops, I summon two small clouds. The soft wisps wind around Peter and Wind's eyes, blocking their vision.

"What the...?" Peter exclaims, reaching up with his free hand.

"Would you prefer the blindfold again?" I snap at him before he can rip away the delicate mist.

"No."

"Then leave it be."

Peter scowls but drops his hand. He continues sulking until we have reached the heart of Neverland. Rising higher into the air, I take us to the floating island. We land next to a patch of cerulean dragonsnow blossoms. The fount of magic stands across from us. Translucent gold water spills from the waterfall into the shimmering pool surrounded by the elvengold tree roots.