Chapter 27: Second Star to the Right

A bright sunbeam falls on my face, waking me. I wish I could lay on Lookout's Peak basking in the warm rays for hours, but it's time to put my plan in action. These uninvited intruders have been on Neverland for far too long. Yawning, I stretch my arms out and roll over. Hook's amused face is right in front of me. Surprised, I shoot up into a sitting position.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty." Hook bows to me. "How are you this lovely day?"

"I would be better if I knew you weren't watching me all night like a creep." Standing up, I shake out my wrinkled clothing. "Do you climb up to children's windows at night and eavesdrop on their conversations?"

"That's more my brother's style."

Hook tosses my swords to me and buckles on his own weapons. Nodding my thanks, I walk over to the wall and press my hand against it. A vine laden with silver fruit begins emerging from the dirt. After I pluck some of the fruit, I remove my hand, and the vine disappears back into the wall.

"Hungry?" I ask.

"Starving."

"Too bad you didn't bring any food."

With an impish grin, I bite into the crisp skin. Sparkling tangy juice bubbles in my mouth. The succulent fruit tastes like a fresh spring breeze, and the flesh is soft and velvety. Sauntering closer to Hook, I lean forward so he can smell the sweet fragrance.

"Don't they look delicious? They're called lunalorias." I lick my lips and dangle the remaining fruit in front of Hook's face tantalizingly. "Wouldn't you like a taste?"

Ignoring the lunaloria, Hook looks down at me. His eyes darken like wintry ocean waves as he gazes down at my mouth. A flame ignites in my abdomen, quivering rapidly.

"Yes." James bends down, his breath brushing lightly against my skin. "I would like a taste."

His smooth lips are almost on mine when I suddenly reach up and shove the last lunaloria into his mouth. Dancing out of his reach, I laugh as Hook chokes on the unexpected fruit.

"You said you wanted a taste."

"I did." Hook raises an eyebrow at me. "And I still do if you ever decide you're hungry."

Turning away, I pretend to look out at the land below to avoid meeting James's eyes. Casually, I comb my hair with my fingers to hide the blush creeping into my cheeks. I don't know why my skin is tingling or why heat is rushing into my face. Briefly, I consider what it would feel like to have James's soft lips pressed against mine, but I swiftly shake the preposterous thought out of my head. My mind is still in turmoil after learning about my father's death and Merlin's betrayal. I won't make a decision regarding James until I am thinking clearly again. Clearing my throat, I pull out my spyglass and aim it towards the ocean.

"It looks like your ship is fine, and the crew seems to be enjoying their time off."

"Any sign of Merlin or my brother?"

Hook crosses over to me and stands behind my shoulder. It's difficult to ignore him when his breath is drifting onto my bare neck. I don't know why a shiver runs down my spine when it's such a warm day. Twisting a setting on my spyglass, I scan the island. It's impossible to find Peter or Wind since neither have the natural essence of magic, but Merlin's gold spirit spark shines brightly. He is roving through the jungle searching through my caves, treehouses, and hideouts.

"Merlin's looking for us," I report to Hook. "Judging by the trail of his magic, he's already checked the beach, the forest, and most of the meadows."