Chapter 21: A Tense Tea

Flicker's radiance makes everything around her seem dull in comparison. The moonbeams look grey, candlelight is dim, and even the sun seems to have faded slightly. Only Hook's blue eyes glow as brightly as ever. 

We haven't had any time alone since our moment in the crow's nest. In fact, he has intentionally avoided being in the same room alone with me. But his eyes have been trained on me over the past few days. I have found it increasingly difficult to focus on planning with Hook watching me. Even now, as I pretend to study the map of Neverland on the table, I can feel his unsettling gaze burning through me. Biting my lip, I force myself to breathe normally and keep my eyes trained on the parchment in front of me.

"Jimmy? Jimmy?"

I jerk my head up. Merlin is staring at me, frowning. I have no idea what he just asked me. Silently, I curse Hook before smiling disarmingly at Merlin.

"Um yes, I agree with whatever you think is best."

"I asked you if you wanted a cup of tea."

I call Hook a dozen expletives in my head. He has no business being in my mind especially after the silent treatment he has given me over the past few days. I vow to never think about that bloody pirate again. He means nothing to me.

"Sorry, yes. I would love a cup."

Merlin nods and walks across the captain's cabin to a small stove in the corner. Arching an eyebrow, Flicker moves around the mahogany table and stands next to me. Her tall, willowy figure towers over me. She is almost as tall as Hook. I mentally smack myself for already breaking my vow to not think of him.

"Is something wrong, Jimmy?" Flicker asks, concern etched across her dainty features. "You seem distracted."

"I'm not."

I glance over at Hook. He is leaning against the wall, gazing out the window. His back is rigid and tense as he looks over the ocean.

"Are you sure?"

"Of course." I snap my head back to Flicker. "I'm fine."

"You seem to have been a bit distracted ever since my arrival."

"I've just been wondering where you have been," I quickly make up an excuse. "After Hook gave you the timepiece and you sent him here, where did you go?"

"I'm sorry I haven't been here for you," Flicker apologizes. "But there was a disturbing trend that I needed to investigate. I could not understand how so much fey dust was falling into the wrong hands, so I went to check on the rest of my fellow feys in the other worlds."

"How are they?" I ask.

"I don't know. I could not locate any of them, and I fear the worst." 

Flicker presses her lips together tightly. I know her well enough to understand she does not want to speak about the subject anymore.

" Let's just run over the plan again." Placing a comforting hand on her arm, I change the subject. "I'm not sure about it."

"What's bothering you?" Flicker's shining dress flows around her knees as she gracefully sits in a carved oak chair. "Is it the location?"

"No, I'm fine with using the Iridescent Shores."

"Do you think we need to switch the time?" Hook asks without turning around.

"No." Boosting myself up, I perch on the tabletop and swing my legs freely. "I think dawn will work well."

Flicking his wrist, Merlin levitates a porcelain teacup across the room. I nod my thanks to him as I wrap my fingers around the glass handle.