Chapter 39 - Break

This is the third day I've woken up in Neymar's bed and not mine.

Things are just going as perfect as ever, I'm in love and I'm happy and I don't feel empty inside. I feel loved and I've finally gotten to experience it fully.

I wake up silently and tip toe back to my room to get dressed and ready to leave to the airport. It's finally September and the team is going to be super busy so all the work I need to do can be done through email whilst I'm in another continent or I just don't have work at all, which is fantastic.

I grab a pen and paper and leave Neymar a note. He's going to need all the sleep he can get these next few days and so I leave it on his bedside table and leave a kiss on his cheek before I leave his home and enter the cab waiting for me outside the gates.

This time I don't keep it a surprise and expect to find the three of them waiting for me at the gate.

And just as expected, Vivian, Chelsea and Naomi are stood there waiting for me.

"Very funny," I say as I go up to Naomi who's dressed in a Neymar jersey for Barcelona.

"You know me," she smiles.

I greet the other two and we make our way from JFK through the traffic back home in Manhattan.

"Tell us," Chelsea begins to insist. "About Barcelona. About Bartra please. Did you slip him my number?"

"No, but I will when I get back," I joke. "Barça's great, it's all I've ever dreamed of. I couldn't be happier, I've never been happier."

"I agree," Vivian looks at me suspiciously. "What's up? You've got a glow."

"Oh my God! Are you pregnant?" Naomi exclaims in utter shock.

"Why would you say that?" I look at her disapprovingly.

"You have a boyfriend," Chelsea sings.

I stay quiet.

"Say nothing until I'm done and I'll tell you all," I proposition.

"Deal," Vivian and Chelsea say at once, Naomi just smiles.

I tell them all about Neymar and how we got together and how he treats me and how head over heels I am for him, and him for me and just about how happy I am. I quickly change the topic right after about how happy I am at Barcelona and how great all the guys are, about Messi and Antonella and Piqué and just the whole gang in general. I couldn't bare listen to them gush over me gushing about my boyfriend.

"Well, that's different," I point out.

"What is?" Chelsea asks.

"The word 'boyfriend,'" I explain.

We were sat in traffic as I drove her to this reunion party she had with some of her friends from high school who were in town.

"I'm so happy for you," she begins to smile. "I never would've thought-"

"Never in a million years," I interrupt her to agree.

I always admired Neymar as a player and I was a huge fan, of course a side of me thought he was attractive but I never once thought about involving myself romantically with him, or working for his club for that matter.

As I drive up to the curb, I tell Chelsea that I'll pick her up no matter the time since I'm jet lagged and that I'll be up so she doesn't have to worry.

Once she says goodbye and shuts the door my phone begins to ring like clockwork.

"You, my friend, should be sound asleep," I tell him.

"Oh please, you know I'm practically an insomniac," James shrugs off my comment.

"And there's a problem with that," I begin to chuckle.

"Check your email," James insists.

I place the call on speaker and do as he says.

"What am I looking at?" I ask him.

"Look for my trip advisor's email," he says. "I forget you're a busy woman."

"Got it," I say. "Oh, come on."

"Well, jeez. That is not at all the reaction I expected."

"Sorry, you're obsessed with me is all," I mock him.

"Fine, I'll call a cab, get a hotel, as if I don't know you," he says and I hear him smile.

"You're gonna make me do this aren't you?" I ask rhetorically. "James, my beloved James. You are hereby welcome to sleep, eat, shower and any other activity you can think of that a human being may do at their own home, in my home. Please, oh please, stay with me when you arrive here in New York," I say emotionless.

"Once more with feeling," he adds.

"I'm just joking," I let out a laugh. "Of course, you don't even have to ask, which you didn't, but please come stay over at my place. My roommates may try to climb you but it's all with good intentions. I can't wait."

"I can't wait either," James says. "Four months without my Kat fix."

"It's been four months since my James fix?"

"Four months," he reassures me.

"Thanks for counting," I say. "I'll pick you up the day of, alright love?"

"Perfect."

"I gotta go now, I'm gonna drive back home," I explain.

"Take care, love you," he says.

"Okay, love you too. Please get some sleep! Sweet dreams."

I make my way back home and throw myself on the couch next to Vivian.

"What time is it in Barcelona?" she asks.

"Around four in the morning," I tell her as I take a chip from the bag she's holding.

"So, don't worry about Neymar calling you," she turns to face me.

"How did you know? That's really creepy," I tell her.

I go to bed a couple of minutes later and change before checking my phone one last time. Not a text or call.

I stay up for another couple of hours, not the least bit exhausted and stuck in the wrong time zone.

Around two am I get a call from Neymar, finally.

"How's training going?" I ask him.

"Good, as usual," he responds. "How was your flight? Did you visit any family yet?"

"Nope, that's all tomorrow I just reunited with my roommates and sat them down to tell them about us. They would've imploded if I didn't tell them about the man in my life that was apparently painted all over my face. The flight was good."

"You are so in love with me that everyone can tell." he chuckles.

"Or maybe it's because they know me so well," I disagree.

"Nah, I vote for the first option," he laughs a bit more before I join him.

"Guess who's coming to visit," I tell him.

"I'm really bad at this," he says.

"I know you are," I smile. "Just guess."

"Marcelo?"

"Nope."

"James?"

"On the nose," I chime.

"I swear you two are attached at the hip," Neymar says.

"Just glad you get along with him," I bite my lip as I sit up in bed.

"Always," he says as I hear someone call his name in the background. "Send him and your roommates my best. Gotta go, babe. I love you."

"I love you," I say before ending the call.

Before I get the chance to lock my phone I get a text from Chelsea asking for a ride home, I gladly get up and head to the car, happily actually, from the last phone call I received.