Chapter 24 - Madrid to Dubai

Seven hours minimum.

I grasp the arm rest a bit and think of James. I regret not saying goodbye to him, not patching things up. I should call him soon.

I barely slept last night and I had to get up early, making me take the opportunity to sleep on the flight there.

I wake up about half an hour before the plane lands and I make my way through the gate.

I go through customs and get yet another stamp on my passport then make my way past some crowds. There's a wall and then a path to make it to the terminal. I look around for a second before I spot a jumping Noori holding up a poster with some vulgar words.

I smile widely and she does the same then I run up to her and we hug each other tighter than ever.

"What is this heat?" I joke as we make it out the airport.

"I've missed you so much, I have so much to tell you and you have to spill your heart out back to me, Kat!" She says frantically before we get in a cab. "Tell me how rough footballers are in bed."

"Oh my God, can't really say I would know," I chuckle.

"Please," she rolls her eyes.

We make it to her cousins house, scratch that mansion- it looks like a palace to me, and I meet her cousin Saeeda and her family.

Noori takes me to a guest room and we unpack real quick then we make it down the hall to her room.

"How's Vivian and Naomi?" She asks. "Oh, and Chelsea?"

"Everyone is great, thanks. I'm gonna call them in a bit, you should join," I tell her.

"Me not joining wasn't an option," she says making me chuckle.

"Oh gosh, a few hours ago I was walking down the street crying," I admit to her. "I practically lost my job, Noori."

"No, no, you quit. If anyone asks, you quit and no one saw it coming," she corrects me.

I give her a smile in effort to move on from the subject. A couple of minutes later we start getting ready to head out so she can show me Dubai and we can get a bite to eat. We visit a museum and a mosque and then Noori promises to take me to the famous water park soon, although it's January.

"Tell me about the players," she finally asks as we're seated.

"They-they were all great. You know Keylor, um Ronaldo was what you'd expect... Benzema was super cool," I say.

"Go on," she insists.

"Kroos, yeah he's amazing, great guy," I add. "Oh! The German national team, I almost cried they're all so beautiful and the Brazilian and Colombian one-"

"James!" She interrupts. "Man of the cup, you always had a soft spot for him, how was he?"

"Great, yeah we became really close," I frown. "We're just not on speaking terms."

"What? Why? What happened?"

"We got in a fight before I left," I explain. "But I'll call him soon."

"Neymar?" She asks.

Oh no. She can tell.

"You dirty little-"

"He has a little crush on me," I admit. "That's all."

"Oh, isn't that convenient? Always getting the fit ones, Kat," she starts. "And what? You don't have a 'silly little crush' on him?"

"Not yet," I blush.

"Call Luis Enrique right now. That move to Barcelona will benefit you and him," she says before taking a bite of the food that just arrived. "Him as in Neymar."

I smile at her wiggling eyebrows and thank the waiter.

When we finally arrive back at her cousins place, I leave Noori to sleep cause she's been up for so long and I head to my room with a bit of jet lag.

I consider texting James, but I think it's too soon and he probably doesn't want to hear from me. I'll call back home tomorrow, so no need to worry. Neymar, I can call him later. The only person I need to call is Luis.

The phone rings five times and then his secretary answers. She passes on my call to him and I'm greeted by the same cheer of my name as usual.

"Hi, Luis, how have you been?" I ask.

"Great, thanks for asking, how about you? I mean I heard you left Madrid. Where in the world are you now?" He asks.

"Well, believe it or not, I'm in Dubai," I say.

"Dubai? Exotic, I love it," he says.

Do I tell him it's not that exotic then hang up because I'm asking for handouts or do I just mention the job and pray it's a standing offer?

"I called because of the job offer you gave me," I bite down on my lip as hard as I can after the words escape my mouth. "You must know I'm not working for Real Madrid anymore and maybe Barcelona might just not want me, but-"

"Kat," he speaks. "Relax, the offer still stands."

"Really?" I smile.

"Regardless of who you work for or who you don't work for, Barcelona still wants you. It'd be a privilege."

"Are you serious?" I almost burst out into laughter. "When can I come in?"

"How's Monday? Are you going to be back by then?" Luis asks.

"I-I'll be back whenever you want me, Luis I'm so thankful-"

"Kat, no need. I've been waiting for your call, I was starting to think you would never pick up the phone."

"I just assumed since I didn't have the 'Real' title, I was no longer of interest to you guys," I explain.

"The only title we want is the name you have," Luis says. "Monday morning, 8 AM, my office."

"Thank you," I say as sincerely as possible.

We say our goodbyes and I jump around my room. I've never been happier in my life. Getting a job at Real Madrid was surreal, but Barcelona is just a dream come true.

I call up Neymar right after and tell him what happened.

"That's great, Kat!" He cheers along with me.

"I know! Thank you so, so, so much Neymar! Ugh I could kiss you-"

"Please do," he jokes.

"Thank you," I calm down and mean it.

"You deserve it," he responds.