Chapter 37 - Ospina

James' POV

I go to pick up David from the airport early in the morning and greet him with a tight hug.

"I haven't seen you in forever," David smiles. "How've you been?"

"Great, man. It really has been a long time," I say as I shut my car door.

"Tell me about it," he begins to cheer. "Madrid!"

"Madrid!" I join him.

We drive back to my place and he gets settled in almost immediately.

"What are we up to tonight?" David asks as he comes out of the hallway.

"Let's go out with some of the guys," I entice him. "It'll be fun."

"Of course! Definitely, let me call back home," he says before he goes and sits on the couch and I follow.

I turn on the TV and put it on a low setting for the volume while David calls his wife and parents, then Daniela.

"Love you too, bye," he speaks before ending his final call. "You haven't spoken to Daniela?"

"No, no, we got into a small fight the other day... I should call her," I half lie.

"She didn't sound mad or anything," David says as he sits up. "Are you two okay?"

"We've been better," I shrug and lie.

It's the middle of July and next month it's going to be a year since I've arrived in Real Madrid. Daniela is still no where to be found and she's been dismissing the fact that she still isn't living here with me. She visits with Salomé and I can tell that she's still down about Monaco and having to leave the life she just settled into over there and now the abrupt move to Spain after going back and forth from Brazil to Colombia. She never finished her studies and she left her career in volleyball for me to move to Monaco and I know I am the person to blame for it all.

The fight we got into at the end of May was about her moving finally. She refused to do so yet. Two months later and there's still no sign of her. I fear we've fallen out of love already and I have to admit a side of me expected it and wanted it, but now that it's happened I feel lost. She doesn't want to come back to me and I somehow understand. If it wasn't for Salomé, God knows where we'd be now.

I ask David about his wife in return but I barely pay any attention because Daniela is now on my mind.

I don't want to mention anything to David, he's one of my best friends and we're extremely close but I know whose side he'd be on for anything, no matter how it all goes down, Daniela is his sister.

My phone begins to ring in the middle of David's sentence and I look down at the coffee table to pick it up.

I let it vibrate in my hands for a bit as I look at the photo on the screen.

"Kat," I smile.

"James," she cheers. "Happy belated birthday again, just a reminder your present is in the mail."

"I know, I know, thank you," I tell her. "Are you at work?"

"Yes, what's this whole mishap with the account credit? Simon's assistant just had to call me because your new publicist doesn't know where they're standing and somehow lost a whole log and there's no way in hell I'm doing this all through Simon-"

"Okay, okay, relax," I interrupt Kat.

I look over at David who has a confused look on his face and I chuckle a bit.

"I'll email you my copy of the credit and you look it over then do what you must to get it back to their offices, okay? How's that sound?" I ask.

"Marvelous, James," she says before letting out a deep breath. "What are you up to?"

"I'm sat here with David," I say looking over to him.

"Which David? Ospina?" she asks.

"Yep," I say.

"Pass me him, I want to say hi," she instructs.

I do as she says and David furrows his brows a bit.

"Hey David!" I can hear her cheer.

"Hey, Kat! How are you," David smiles a bit. "I'm good, thanks for asking. I hear you're working for Barça now, impressive."

David laughs for about another minute on the phone with her before passing it back to me.

"Take care, Kat," he smiles.

"Hello," I say as I take my phone back.

"Your present is in the mail, I swear!" she says one more time.

"I believe you," I laugh a bit. "I'll go get the papers right now before I forget."

"Perfect, text me when it's all done."

"Of course. Bye, Kat," I say.

"Bye, James," she says in return. "Love you."

"Love you too," I say before ending the call.

I feel David's eyes on me for a minute before I get up.

"I'll be right back," I tell him.

That night Marcelo, David, Sergio, Cristiano and I headed out to some bar uptown.

We've been out since around nine and it's almost midnight when I check my phone after I get a text message.

I leave the guys who were cheering some nonsense by the bar and head back to our table.

I answer Daniela's text about not getting David into any trouble and then I answer Kat's question about what movie she should watch next.

I look up from my phone as one of the guys sits across from me. David.

"You really need to put that phone away," he says before taking a sip of his beer.

"Just texting Kat," I admit. "And Daniela."

"What's up with Kat? You still kept in touch after she left?" he asks.

"Yep. We're good friends," I frown, not liking his tone of voice.

"Have you called Daniela yet?"

"No, she was just asking about you," I explain.

"Is there something between you and Kat?" he asks out of the blue.

"Excuse me?" I let out a chuckle and then frown as his expression doesn't change one bit. "Of course not, why would you even ask?"

"I don't know," he shrugs. "You seemed pretty giddy when you spoke to her."

"And?" I get defensive.

Maybe I do have feelings for Kat but I would never in a million years admit that to anyone; especially my wife's brother. The whole ordeal is wrong and I'm in no position to even admit it to myself.

"Don't spoil your family over her," David warns me.

"You know I would never," I tell him.

"I don't know anything."