Chapter Six

Lexi

I look at Will from my perch on my sofa as he sits in my desk chair, swiveling slightly. We came up to my room after dinner so we could talk.

"A pregnant Empazod?" He repeats after I tell him about Peyton.

"Yeah. I have no idea if she's our girl or not, but what if she is?" I explain.

"She has to keep the baby. You have to keep her safe until we know for sure." Will sighs.

"How am I supposed to do that, she doesn't trust me. She doesn't really even know me." I sigh.

"Get her to trust you, become her best fucking friend. Just protect her." Will states in exasperation. 

"What if she's not our girl, what happens to her then?" I counter.

"Then she'll have to decide what she wants to do with the baby. It's not really our problem." Will says.

"We ruin a teenage girl's life and it's not our problem?!" I balk.

"You know we don't have much choice." Will sighs.

"We can't just make her keep the baby if she's not our girl!" I semi-shout, aware of our parents downstairs.

"What else am I supposed to do, Lexi?" Will laments.

"Figure out if she's our girl. I'll see if I can get her to keep the baby for a little while, but I can't convince her forever, and I won't try to." I state.

"Fine. Whatever. I'll talk to Markus Greene to see what he knows." Will groans.

"Good. But, why wouldn't he tell us if he knew something?" I inquire.

"Probably wants to keep everyone on a need to know basis. We don't need to know, so why not keep everyone safe by keeping things quiet?" Will reasons.

"Alright, Mom and Dad are gonna start to worry any minute, we better head downstairs." I sigh.

Will heads home shortly after our talk. We all hug him tightly when he says his goodbyes. I never know if I'll see him again when he leaves. I'm even less certain I'll see him in good health, or with all his limbs. I guess that's what war does. You can never be certain you'll have a tomorrow. Jack and I had to grow up way faster than we should've. This war has ruined so many lives, and taken many as well. Will and I are lucky to be alive and well. I head to my room and take a long, hot shower. I get out, dry off, then get into my pajamas. I collapse into bed and try to forget everything. I toss and turn for an hour or two before sleep claims me.

Monday morning I wake up feeling as if I had never shut my eyes at all. I climb out of bed and get ready for school. Jack is already finished getting ready when I walk by his room. He's early? Breakfast is waiting for us when we get downstairs. I give Mom and Dad a kiss on the cheek before grabbing a plate. Jack does the same with much more energy than is usual for him at this time of the morning. I sit down then look at Jack strangely.

"Jack, what is going on with you?" I question.

"I don't know, just happy I guess." He shrugs. He gracefully sits down in his chair rather than plopping into it with a sigh as per usual.

"You hate mornings." I rationalize.

"This morning is different." Jack smiles.

"Whatever, weirdo." I sigh.

"Lexi do not call your brother a weirdo for being happy this morning!" My mother scolds.

"He's being weird! No one should be happy on a Monday morning. And he's early. Jack is never early." I explain.