Chapter Two

Lexi

Grrr I think to myself as I roll over and shut off my alarm clock. I get out of bed and turn on my playlist from my phone. I dance my way into my connected bathroom to hop into the shower. Afterward, I brush my teeth and pull my dark black hair into a high, fishtail braid. I do my makeup, accentuating my bright, green eyes and my skinny nose. I walk back into my bedroom to get dressed. I grab my backpack and head downstairs.

"Hey Mom! Hey Dad!" I greet my parents, hugging them both. I set my backpack by the door, then start helping with breakfast. Mom and Dad didn't have to leave for work for another two hours. They were realtors, meaning they got to choose their schedules for the most part. My parents are using their telekinesis abilities to flip the pancakes and set the table. I feel the energy of their alters fill the room.

See, my family comes from a species called Empazods. We are each gifted with a different set of abilities that range from telekinesis to heightened senses all the way to flying. Each empazod is equipped with an alter. Alters are the source of our abilities as well as a separate conscious from our own. Empazods are a relatively new species on Earth, but legends say we originated long ago. My family was forced to flee to Earth just before I was born because our world, Hetaniku, was struck by a vicious war. The war has only gotten worse, and now I -along with my family and many other beings- am fighting to protect the Earth as the war spreads across planets and through galaxies. That's all hard enough, but add on top that I'm in my senior year of high school, and I've got quite a mess on my hands.

I pour myself a glass of orange juice and grab a plate of pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, and fruit. I sit down and take the time to enjoy everything on my plate.

"Jack! You ready yet?" I call upstairs to my little brother. He slides down the banister and without using a plate or silverware, scarves down two pancakes, three pieces of bacon, two sausages, a banana, and a glass of orange juice, all while buttoning his shirt, zipping his pants, and putting his arm through his backpack. My parents and I roll our eyes, having grown used to his antics. His light brown hair is falling into his eyes and covering his ears. He's growing up faster than I like. His facial features are becoming more defined and he's finally losing his baby fat. He's going to have to learn to drive in a few months. I mentally shake my head, trying to forget about how my family is getting older and the war that might take them away from me.

"Let's go!" He says on his way to the door, only wearing his socks because his shoes are in his hand so he can put them on while I'm driving. Why he likes to rush so much, I'll never know, but we just kinda live with it. I grab my backpack and keys and head out to the car with Jack.

When we get to school, I park in my usual spot and we grab our backpacks from the back seat. I lock my car behind me as Jack and I walk into the old school building. When we pass the threshold, I look at Jack. We both feel the strong buzz of another Empazod's alter. There are a few Empazods in our school, but they all have their alters under control. This is a new Empazod. With Jack being a freshman and I a senior, we can cover the whole school to find out who it is. We go our separate ways to get to first hour.

Any luck? I ask Jack through our mindlink. We have been able to communicate using telepathy before Jack started kindergarten; it comes in handy in times like these.

No, you? He replies, getting agitated.

Not yet. There's still plenty of time. I reason.

Throughout the day, neither of us have any luck. It's last hour and still nothing, until I see Peyton. She's a wallflower, she doesn't hang out with anyone and she's not in any sports or clubs. Her small, pixie-like looks and short, platinum blonde hair contrasts with her usual punk look. She has gauges in her ears and a septum piercing. I sit in an empty desk next to hers. We have a substitute teacher today, so we're told to use our time wisely. Ha! If I had a dollar for every time I heard that.

I start talking to Peyton, and she's actually pretty cool. We like a lot of the same music, have the same taste in movies, and we share a similar sense of humor. Just before the hour is over, she gets a text.

"Shit!" She looks at her phone again with a sigh.

"What's wrong?" I ask gently.

"In short, I just lost my ride home," She says in frustration.

"I can take you home if you want," I offer.

Shrugging Peyton said, "It's fine. I can walk."

As if on cue, Jack texts me telling me he's going to a friend's house to play video games.

"I insist you let me take you home," I state.

"Thank you so much," Peyton relents. The final bell rings and Peyton tells me she has everything she needs already in her bag so we head to my car.

Once we're on the road Peyton's alter starts buzzing stronger. I look at her quickly and her hand is pushing on her stomach as she takes a deep breath.

"I know what you are," I state calmly.

"What do you mean?" She replies in confusion. I realize then that Peyton probably has no idea she's an Empazod.

"The reason your head is buzzing and your stomach is churning right now. You're different, Peyton, and I can help you." It was rare, but not uncommon for Empazods to gain touch with their alters later in life. Our family were all in touch with their Alters since birth. It has been said that connecting to your alter later can be somewhat painful. The foreign energy is difficult to handle.

"Help me? How?" Peyton asks skeptically.

"I can show you how to control your abilities. I can help you with your pain. I can teach you everything you need to know," I explain.

"Turn right here," Peyton directs, "How did you know about all of that?"

"I can feel your Alter. It's an energy all of us can sense,"

"Alter?" Peyton inquired.

"You'll start feeling it in your gut, guiding you. Soon you'll even be able to hear it in your mind."

"Why?"

"Why what?" I ask gently.

"Why me? What makes me special?"

"I don't know," I reply gently.

"Left up ahead." Peyton is quiet for the rest of the ride besides occasional directions and deep breaths in an attempt to steady her pain.

I pull into Peyton's driveway and put the car in park. I grab Peyton's backpack and walk behind Peyton to the door.

"Thank you for taking me home and everything, you didn't have to." Peyton smiles.

"I know, but I couldn't just leave you stranded, now I'm glad I didn't," I reply.

"Me too."

"I'll see you Monday?" I ask, anxious to leave her alone.

"Of course." She grins

So, what did ya think?

I left this story for a while and I'm just now coming back to it. I have to tell this story. I've promised to finish this even if I have to write it on my deathbed. Please vote and comment because it lets me know what you do and don't like about my writing, which means I can make it better. 

Thank you all so much for reading! Catch ya later!