Chapter 27 | Silence

I felt sick

I felt sick.

Adrian couldn't be cheating.

It just didn't make sense.

The car ride was awkward.

I could've sworn I caught Adrian taking a couple hits but regardless, he reassured me he was fine to drive.

I was too tired emotionally and physically to be worried and argue.

I spent all night up, waiting for one call— one text from him telling me he was okay.

It just never came.

It stung to see the photo of the two getting into an Uber together.

Him and a raven haired chick.

I looked at the picture from the article over and over again on my phone.

I couldn't understand why it was so hard to look away at the one thing that was hurting me the most.

"You look nice today." Adrian broke the silence.

Between the two of us, it wasn't the same anymore.

"Thank you." I replied, not looking at him.

In all honesty, I knew I looked like shit.

My hair was in a messy bun, no makeup, and I was in sweats and a cami.

"What happened between us?" He asked, his voice growing softer.

I paused for a second and looked at him, his side profile still full of stubble from not shaving.

The split second that he turned to look at me, we both turned away.

"We were just a summer fling according to you." I repeated.

He nodded, "I guess we were."

"Look Adrian, if you cheated on me, you would let me know right?" I asked, my voice cracking—betraying me.

He paused before nodding, "Yea."

I knew he was lying.

I knew he slept with her.

But I let him stay quiet.

I wanted to hold onto the idea that he couldn't be cheating and that maybe it was just a sick setup.

So I did.

I sat there and listened to the humming of the car that filled in the void of silence.

•••

"Mack?" A familiar voice called out as I placed in my clothes back into the luggage one by one.

"Yea?" I responded, turning around to face my brother.

"Mom and Dad bought you a new place in Florida, you have your own place now!" Justin grinned before stopping, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I lied, folding the last of my sports attire and packing it up.

"Mack, I know when something is wrong." He urged, "Either you tell me or I'll figure it out for myself."

I choose to stay stubborn before I opened my mouth, "It's just that...you were right."

"I was wha—oh." He stopped, before sitting down on my bed.

"Yea."

"I told you so." He chuckled trying to lighten the mood before being hit with one of my pillows.

"Damn, stop being so abusive." Justin groaned.

"So... can I beat him up?" Justin replied before laying on my bed.

"No. I'm leaving anyways." I told him before laying down right next to him.

The thought of me leaving California hadn't hit me as hard as it did as when I had just said the words.

"Okay." He said before turning to look at me, "Are you okay?"

"Honestly—no." I muttered, "It's just not fair Justin... how could he—?"

Before I could say anything, Justin pulled me into a hug and I couldn't stop the tears from coming out.

"He's not worth crying over."

"I thought he really loved me you know?" I stupidly blurted out, "Summer seemed so long and I couldn't imagine spending a day without him."

"I watched him kill himself and open up to me." I cried, "All that smoking and never once did I say anything. Never."

"He isn't worth your time." Justin reminded me, releasing him hold on me so that we both faced the ceiling.

"After all I did, after all I watched him go through, he cheated on me Justin." I mumbled, "He didn't admit it but I just knew."

I could feel Justin's arm tense up under me, his hand balling into a fist.

For once, it was nice to see Justin over protective.

It made me feel safe.

It made me feel like maybe I could figure out a way to get through this gut-wrenching feeling of being alone.

"He was out late, didn't come back to the place we were staying." I explained, "Is it bad that I don't believe him? I want to so bad."

"No, it isn't your fault." Justin whispered, letting the silence surround us.

"It hurts. It isn't fair you know?" I voiced, "I don't even know what I did wrong."

"You didn't do anything wrong." His voice softening.

"I just want it all to end."

•••

Wow, this is an insanely short chapter!

Only 2 more chapters before this comes to an end!

Then it's onto 1 month (max) of revising and editing before I publish the first chapter of the sequel!!

Are y'all excited??

Please vote, comment, follow, and share!

-Anne

•••

Updated: 1•20•19

Updated: 1•20•19