Chapter 19

Published: January 24th 2019
Edited: November 23rd 2019

You sat on the bed, with the king sitting next to you. You looked up at him and intertwined fingers with his. The King gazed softly into your eyes, as they were getting glazed lightly with tears.  The King smiled and squeezed your hand.

"There is something I wanted to ask you about, my soon to be Queen." He said, with a bit of hesitation. You curled your fingers in your hair and looked at him with curiousness. "What is it?" Your words were light and had a tone of innocent interest. "Well...I've never seen your soul." You flinched at the word soul, sending a shiver up your spine. "M-my...soul?" You stuttered softly. "Of course dear!" He assured you. Your eyes darted to the floor swiftly, unlocking the gaze with your beloved. You felt your whole body drop to an incredibly low temperature, due to your nervousness. The King rubbed your hand patiently. "Y/N it can't be that bad..." He assured you softly. You let out a sharp sigh. "I..uhm...I don't know..." You mumbled. "I knew your soul was damaged from the first time I looked into your eyes Y/N...maybe I could just help..." He spoke softly. You squeezed his hand softly. "Promise not to judge?" You asked as you let go of his hand and put your hands on the center of your chest. "Promise." He replied with a soft comforting smile.

You sighed of nervousness, then locking eyes with the King. You pressed your hands against the center of your chest, hissing with pain. You pried your soul out with a soft whimper, it hurt so much. Your eyes were glazed as your soul sat in your palms, glowing dimly. The Kings face was in utter shock, he was filled with worry.

The King extended his hand slowly. "May I?" He asked softly. You hesitated for a second, then nodding slowly. You carefully placed your soul in the Kings palms. "Why is it so cold? Feels like ice, my lightener." He asked. "Because it's so damaged..." You softly spoke, your words filled with fear. "And why is it so damaged?" He asked. Your voice died in your throat. Your eyes filled up with tears, as your lip began to tremble uncontrollably. The tears felt like hot acid rolling down your skin. You looked into the Kings eyes before covering your face with your hands.

You felt a warm embrace around you as soft sobs escaped your lips. His hand rubbing your back comfortingly. Your shoulders shook softly as you cried. "It's okay, I'm here." The King whispered sweet nothings into your ear. You uncovered your face and wiped your tears. "It's from all the times...I was heartbroken...the sadness had always gotten the best of me..." You spoked softly, your voice cracking ever so often. The King softly smiled and placed a kiss on your forehead. "Don't expect a heartbreak from me dear." His words made your heart flutter, almost skipping a beat. You smiled warmly.

He placed your soul back into your palms. "Before you put it back, wait." He said softly. He placed his hands at the center of his chest. He carefully pried his soul from his chest. There in his hands sat a dimly glowing soul, a few cracks aligned into it. "The sadness may have gotten the best of me too..." He said, a soft smile curled onto his lips. You smiled and chuckled a bit. "We can be broken together." You chimed. The King chuckled and nodded.

You and the King placed your soul back into your chests before going to bed.

That night...you felt free.

Happiness soared in your mind.

Yes, broken you were, but alone you were not.