Chapter 43: Promises

Start from the beginning

Levi kept saying he was sorry for everything that had happened. He wanted me to give him the chance to be in my life again. He wanted to help me get better. He told me he felt responsible for what had happened to me and wanted a chance to make things okay between us. I covered my face and decided to speak to him properly. I opened the door and he was surprised to see my covered up face and the hooded jacket. I grabbed his arm and decided to go out with him. I didn't want my family to witness all the drama of my love life. Honestly, it felt like a drama. I didn't think, me, Elliot King, the girl who wanted to be a boy, would love someone so deeply enough that my love story would take such dramatic turns. It was time to end all of it. The more we kept trying to get together, the more reasons cropped up to keep us apart. Perhaps, it was life's way of saying we needed a break.

Levi followed me outside docilely. I could see he was impatient to see my face. I was more wary of anyone following us. So, I walked quite a distance before stopping inside an area covered by trees. Levi reached out to remove the scarf I had wrapped around my face. I gasped and slapped away his hand. He looked hurt but I couldn't feel anything other than fear over his reaction if he saw me.

He grabbed my hand and looked at the burn marks over my hand. "I will never forgive Izaya for doing this to you." He whispered to me as he kissed my hand. I pulled it away for fear that my resolve would weaken from what I was about to do. It had become clear to me that our love could not proceed without hurdles so long as we don't have the strength to fight back.

"I should have been there for you. I tried hard to recall you but the memories were elusive. Maybe the guilt of not being able to protect you from Eric weighed on my mind so much that my mind decided it was too stressful to bring up. I had brain injuries Elle and I was in hospital for a month. When I was discharged, ghost like memories of a girl I loved so much persisted within me. But then Kat appeared and I mistook her to be you. Still, soon enough, I realized she couldn't be you because the girl I loved was like a boy. Strong, determined and rough. I started searching and Kat told me about you. The moment your name registered in my mind, it was like opening a flood gate of memories. I confronted Izaya about you and he told me everything. He told me about how you had to go to prison because of who I am. I am so sorry Ellie." He said raspily, not letting go of my hands. I pulled it back reluctantly.

"I understand and I don't hold you responsible for any of it Levi. What I went through was hard but it's in the past. Now this is about us and our future. What I realized from all this is that we cannot be together being what we are now. I am a wreck because of my health and I am scarred terribly. I cannot bear to let you look at me. And you..you are in a very dangerous family that is pursued by the police." I said and Levi interrupted me.

"But it doesn't matter. I am not going to join the gang. I have decided to be an actor. It suits me, I think. As for you, I don't care how you look. You are the girl I love." He said quickly, almost desperately.

"Levi..please let me speak." I said tiredly. I looked at his face with deep regret. He meant so much to me and I couldn't believe I was going to ask him to leave me.

"We cannot be together." I whispered and he looked like I had slapped him. He came closer and cradled my cheeks, tears falling from his eyes.

"Don't say that. Why can't we be together? You love me too don't you?" He asked me. I cried too and he hugged me tightly against him. I wanted to stay there in his warm embrace forever but I had to remind myself that it wasn't the right time for our love. As Izaya said, I would only be a hurdle to Levi if I allowed him to be by my side. He would give up everything to be around me all the time. Then, he could not be anything. He said he wanted to be an actor. Perhaps I could encourage him to build a good career that would help him achieve independence from his family. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made to ensure the survival of love. If I persisted around Levi and made him follow me, I would incur his family's wrath. That wouldn't go down well for anyone.