Chapter 38: Lies

Ellie's POV

I waited outside the school with Daniella for Levi to show up. It was surprising how quickly he took my call. Even before I could talk, he asked me where he could meet me and the moment I told him where I was he said he would be there and cut the call. I groaned. I wished he wasn't that excited to meet me. This was just really bad. I should just tell the truth to Levi and perhaps there could be a way the damage could be reduced, I contemplated.

"Hey, don't try to mess this up." Danny said to me in a suspicious tone.

I just narrowed my eyes at her and pulled up my chin.

"If you mess this up, I have evidence of Levi fighting in that illegal gangster tournament. I could send that video to the principal and get him expelled." She said as if it was idle chatter. I looked at her in shock.

"You've been stalking me and Levi, haven't you?" I asked her accusingly.

"Of course. It was my job. I am not taking chances with getting back my video. If you mess this up, I will destroy your friends' lives and your Levi's life. Just remember that." She warned me.

I gave her a look of despair. How wrong had I been about her! I really thought there was good in her.

"If you had told me of the mess you were in, me and my friends could have helped you Danny. But no! You were determined to get back at Levi too on this weren't you?" I asked her and she didn't say anything for a while.

"Why would I have trusted you to help me?" She asked me instead and I just stared at her.

"I thought we were friends." I told her and she didn't say anything.

"You might force me to lie today but the truth will not be suppressed. It always comes out sooner or later. You won't live happy after destroying other people's happiness." I told her.

"What nonsense!" She muttered with a roll of her eyes.

"You are still a naïve idiot, spitting out some lines from an old hero movie or something. Truth will triumph..blah blah." She said sarcastically.

"Look around you! Nothing like that ever happens. Lies are always more persuasive than the truth and it's only people who are able to ignore and use other people that get powerful and earn fame in this world. Get a reality check will you?" She said to me angrily. I just looked at her.

"Your anger towards Levi is unjustified Danny. You know it. If you have any conscience I hope that someday you would acknowledge it and apologize to Levi for what you are doing. One day I hope your bitter view towards this world will change. Even if there are some people who are the way you believe, there is good in this world. Proverbs like "truth will triumph" will not exist if there's no substance to it. In your case, I hope you realize you are playing a villain in your own story. What right do you really have to be angry over truth being suppressed when actually it's you who could bring out the truth? How could you get angry at the world and everyone at large for your circumstances when you are not doing anything to change your own circumstances? It's easy to blame everyone else at large for your problems. You really are a coward and I pity you. I understand you are in difficult circumstances today. But if you had placed some trust in me, I would have done anything to save you. I just hope that someday your embittered view to everything could change. We are in this situation today because I trusted blindly and you don't trust at all. I think it takes a fool to understand another fool. So, I still don't hate you Danny." I told her and she glared at me spitefully.

Just then we saw Levi parking his bike. I watched him walk towards me and his face turned to one of unease as he saw Daniella beside me. I casted an uncomfortable glance at Danny who had a superior look on her face.