Chapter 6: Home

Levi stopped his motorbike in front of my house. I dismounted the bike with growing agitation. Jason must surely be home by now, I thought uneasily.

"Elle?" Someone asked and I turned to see my mum tending to the small garden in front of our house. It was a garden built by my dad. But even after dad passed away, mum tended to it every morning. I think she still cannot forget dad. Jason wasn't good enough for her anyway to forget someone like my dad who treasured her.

She cried when she saw me and I ran over to her, hugging her tightly.

"I am so sorry that this happened." She said sobbing hard. I could see Jason's palm marks on her face and arm. Why does she tolerate that tyrant? I am tired of even asking her that question.

"Mum, let's go to the police and complain about him." I told her and she shook her head.

"No Ellie. We can't do that. He had a right to get angry." She said and I frowned at that.

"Mum, he has no right to hurt me or you. He has no right to hit you. Please think about it." I told her, knowing it would fall on deaf ears.

"Elle, he is upset by your behavior. Did you really come on to a girl? How many times do I have to tell you child that you are a girl. Your delusion has gone to this extent!" She said in an upset tone.

"Mum, you don't understand. I am so tired of talking to you. You never understand me. You never listen to me." I cried.

"What's there to listen? You are lying to yourself and it's all my fault as Jason says. Your father wanted a son and I failed to give him one. So, even when he took care of you as his son, I didn't dare say anything. I let him pretend he had his son. I should have stopped him. In the process you've developed this delusion that you are a boy. You aren't Elle. Look at yourself in the mirror. You are a very beautiful girl. As for this lesbian thing..what's going on?" She asked me. I've heard that way too many times to bother with her tirade.

"Why bother to tell, when you won't listen? You have your own opinions about me anyway." I said tersely and she tensed, looking hurt.

"I didn't come on to anyone. I just told her I like her and asked her to go to a movie with me." I said with a sigh.

"Oh dear. You should stop it child." She said.

"But this is what I am." I screamed at her and she looked around warily.

"What's the fuss about?" We heard someone roar and I looked with worry as Jason came out of the house.

"You again!" He thundered when he saw me. I saw him come over to me in long strides. Allen came out after him. I was surprised to see him run after Jason.

"Please don't hit mum." He sobbed and I was shocked. Jason raised his hand to hit Allen and my face paled just as someone grabbed his arm in a strong hold. I looked with wide eyes as Levi stood between me and Jason. Allen looked really scared.

"Allen!" I tried to go to him but he pulled away with a glare at me.

"I hate you." He spat at me and I looked at him in confusion.

"Why are you back and who is this thug?" Jason screamed at me.

"Levi, this is Jason who is supposedly my stepfather. Jason this is my friend Levi." I said in way of introductions and Jason's nerves popped out in anger.

"I don't care what his name is." He said struggling to make Levi let go of his hands. Levi pushed his hands back and Jason fell on a heap on the garden bed. That was such a satisfying sight that I smiled.