Chapter 42: Dangerous liaisons

The next time I woke up, I was in a dark room. My eyes adjusted quickly to the darkness. It was cold and I was shivering. My eyes widened when I saw Levi's lifeless body in a seat that wasn't far away. It looked like they had poured water over him. There was an unpleasant odour like that of a fire..yeah..it smelled like welding fire in garages.

"Levi." I called him urgently and then coughed. I was feeling really cold.

"Ah! You are awake? Your boyfriend put up a good fight. It was unfortunate that he had to be there but then, he could fetch a good price in the slave market."I heard a voice that I never wished to hear. My head turned to adjust to the man who appeared beside Levi.

"Eric!" I said in horror and rage.

"Let Levi go!" I said angrily and he laughed.

"Oh come on! Should you really be saying that? He is the only one who could save you!" He said.

"My parents will be searching for me. You kidnapped me on the front door and there is a CCTV camera there. The police will be searching for me." I said angrily.

"And they will be too late to rescue you. How would they know where we are? We will pack you into a container and send you off by then. I need the money you owed me and so I have sold you." He told me calmly. I looked at him in shock.

"Unfortunately you were holed up in your house and there was no easy way to get you. I hope you are not feeling bad about not getting a proper welcome." He said and I spat at him.

"You are the worst scum." I said as I struggled to remove the ropes that tied up my hands very tightly. My wrists already felt sore. The ropes were tied so tightly that it was stopping blood circulation and my fingers were feeling numb. I could feel odd pains all over my body and I wanted to cry.

"Now don't be so harsh." Eric chided.

A sob escaped my lips as I struggled with the ropes.

"Don't fight so hard. You might end up like Levi here." He said and I looked at Levi.

"What did you do to him?" I asked him.

"It's a pity he had to see this. I only wanted you but my stupid cronies decided to kidnap you while he was there. He saw things that he shouldn't have seen. So, obviously it should be erased from his mind." He said, as he pulled up Levi's face and showed me the crudely attached electricity wires all around his head.

"No!" I gasped.

"Don't worry. He will accompany you until the auction at least. Now that he had seen this, it would be stupidity to let him go even after messing his mind. So I will sell him too. It appears he'll fetch quite a price. A lot..lot more than what you owe me. So, I have you to thank for that." Eric said.

"You bastard! You don't know who you are messing with. Levi's family will pull out your innards and torture you to death." I said.

He looked annoyed at that. "As I said, I don't mean him any harm." Eric told me.

Two men came over to me and I watched as one man started to remove the rope around my hand.

"Just wear the clothes the man has and walk nicely into the container. Or else, we will put the clothes on you ourselves and carry you to the container." Eric said.

I didn't say anything as I waited for the man to fully untie me. As soon as I was untied, I elbowed him in the stomach and grabbed the back on his head as I dived down jerkily. The man lost consciousness and I tried to charge the second man. Unfortunately, I wasn't strong enough to make sufficient impact on the second man and I got caught easily in the burly man's grasp.