Chapter 21 - Virgil Amouteru

The sky drips with fat raindrops as Virgil hurries through the main courtyard, on his way to meet with Roman in the cavern. The morning air is chilly and balances his warmth nicely. When a particularly large drop of water hits him in the eye, he tries to ignore the memory of the last time he'd seen a storm like this.

There is no disguise for him today. His silver bangs are a deep blue-gray under the stormy sky, and the usually shocking purple is now a dull lavender. His white porcelain mask stays in his bedchamber. He wears normal Kenettran clothes rather than fine Sanderian silks. A deep blue vest over white linen, dark trousers, and dark boots. He squeezes what little water he can from his bangs as he goes.

When he reaches the cavern, Roman is the only one waiting for him.

He still has his deep red robes on, but his hood is down, showing his crimson hair. His eyes no longer burn with anger, but they are stern and bright. Virgil doesn't really know what to do, so he stops and bows his head. He hadn't realized how much taller Roman is than him, and he suddenly feels small.

"Good morning," Virgil says. "You asked for me, so here I am."

Roman watches him. Virgil wonders briefly if Roman will comment on how well he controlled his illusions yesterday. Surely he must be proud of that.

"You want a challenge," Roman says, his voice echoing in the empty space.

Virgil lifts his chin. He makes sure his answer is firm. "Yes."

"Does it excite you? Fear?"

Virgil doesn't reply, but the question reminds him of the chaos he caused at the races, and the gleeful rush that nearly sent him to his knees.

"What do you want to learn, Virgil?" Roman asks.

"Everything." Virgil is surprised at how calm he sounds.

Roman holds out his gloved hands, which have little tendrils of smoke curling from them. "I'm not Logan," he warns. "Brace yourself."

Suddenly, fire explodes on each side of Virgil, rushing out in two lines, roaring up to the ceiling and trapping him in a corridor of fire. Virgil stumbles, but then steels himself and focuses on Roman. He pulls on the strings he can see. A shadowy monster begins to claw its way out of the floor.

But he's barely concentrated for a few moments when Roman lunges at him, metal shining in his hands. His daggers flash towards Virgil, shattering his concentration. The illusion vanishes. Virgil ducks and rolls out of Roman's way, his boots brushing the wall of fire. He scrambles away from the heat.

Roman darts for him again. His daggers glint golden in the firelight. Virgil throws up a hand to shield himself, and pain blooms from the new shallow cut on his palm.

The prince is wasting no mercy on him.

"Wait—" Virgil calls out.

"On your feet," Roman orders. His eyes gleam scarlet.

Virgil obeys. The cut on his palm leaves a bloody print on the ground. The pain only fuels him, helping him yank on the threads again. This time, black mist materializes into a snarling wolf, eyes golden and hungry. It leaps at Roman.

Roman slashes through it easily. He breaks both the illusion and Virgil's concentration, making him lose his grip on the threads. He grabs for them again, and the smoke starts to morph into a hooded demon, but Roman slices his hand through the air and fire erupts before him. Virgil slips in his terror and smacks into the ground. His chest heaves, his breathing ragged.

Rippling dark robes halt beside him. Virgil raises his eyes to see Roman peering down at him, expression neither kind or cruel. "Again," he commands.