Chapter 5: Helping Out

Start from the beginning

"See? She's harmless. She just needs to get to know you, is all. Here. I'll show you." He said and he holds his hand out to you. "Do you trust me?" He asked. You look up at Marlon then said. "Okay. I guess." And you place your hand in his and he moves your hand towards Rosie. "Get down on her level. Let her get your scent." Marlon said as you lean down and let Rosie sniff your hand.

"It's okay. She's not gonna hurt you." Marlon said as Rosie sniffs your hand and licks it. "There you go." Marlon said, smiling, as he let's go of your hand. He looks over at Clem and said.
"You wanna try?" Clem looks down at Rosie then nods as he, cautiously, walks over to Rosie and holds his hand out to her. She sniffs his hand and licks it as well, making Clem smile.

"Now, whistle and tell her to lie down." said Marlon. You look down at Rosie and whistle. Instantly, she looks up at you, her little tail wagging. You point off towards the side of the room, towards the mattress and said. "Lie down, Rosie." And Rosie goes over to the mattress and lays down.

"That's so cool." AJ said in awe. "See? Not so hard." Marlon said. "Yeah. That was pretty cool." You agreed. "And now Rosie will recognize you guys. She's really well-trained. She was the Headmaster's dog, back when this place was still functional. But when the world went to shit, he bailed. All the other adults did. Left us behind to fend for ourselves." Marlon said.

"Wow. What a dick." Clem remarked, making Marlon chuckle.
"Understament of the century." He said. "Now it's just us kids left. And I'd like it if you, (y/n) and AJ were a part of that. The three of you are plenty capable, and we need that. Here." And Marlon walks over to the large desk behind you guys.

"This is the current state of our plan for gathering food." He said as he spins a map towards you guys to look at. "We ate starting to run short. It's getting harder and harder to feed everyone in this school."

You and Clem look down at the map when Clem points out the train station. "That's the train station. There was a whole stash of food under the floorboards." Clem informed him.
"Oh, where you crashed your car? Pretty sure that places is a lost cause. There was a hell of a lot of smoke coming from it when we found you three. Walkers flooded in there after all the noise you made." Marlon said as you look and point at the bottom right corner of the map, where a drawing of a small building was labeled Old Shack.

"What's out here?" You asked. "Ah, that's where we fish. Got a shack for storage right here...right along the river." Marlon said as he points at the shack icon. "It's secure, mostly. Get the occasional walker or two come by. Vi and Brody should be heading out there in a bit." He said then he points at the road pathway and said. "That's the only road that leads in and out of Ericson. If you go off it, you'll eventually end up in the valley. We used to have signs that led people to the school, but I took them down. Wanted this place to be hard to find."

Clem points at the section that was label Traps and said. "What's the trap area?" Marlon looks at it and said.
"Hunting grounds, more or less. Louis built some traps out there to catch game. He and Aasim are set to go check them today."

You look back at the map and saw something that caught your eye. "The greenhouse...." you said, curiously.
"Ah, yeah. Uh, don't get too excited about that one. We used to maintain it real well. Had plenty of vegetables growing. But it became overgrown, upkeep was impossible. Yeah, we uh, we keep away from that now." Marlon informed as Clem points at a section that was labeled Hunting Grounds.

"I didn't realize how much forest surrounds this place." He remarks. "It's how we've kept ourselves from unwanted attention for so long. Well....for the most part, anyway. One more thing....see these red lines?" Marlon asked as he points the red lines. "Yeah." You and Clem said.