Two Little Doughs

Bai Qian woke up with a start. Intense pain...pain that she had never experience in her life before hits her hard.
Her eyes shut tightly....her hands gripped the blanket as sweat broke out from her body.

Pain, pressure, a burning sensation slowly descends the cervical canal....took her breath away. She tried to focus on her breathing to calm herself down and to lessen the pain.
No matter what she tried the pain didn't go away.

The pain comes and goes in waves. Once it's settled, it gave Bai Qian enough time to slowly move towards the night bag that she'd packed and left in the corner.

She grabbed it and headed slowly towards her closet for a changed of clothes.
Mid way the contractions started up again. Her gripped on the bag loosen as it fell near her feet.
The pressure in her pelvic caused a dull ache in her back and lower abdomen. Bai Qian steady herself by leaning against the wall....one hand over her stomach while the other bracing the wall.....waiting for the contractions to pass.

Bai Qian look at her watch to time the contractions....eight minutes in between....

She reach for her phone....dial her friend Chou Xi, who live across the hall from Bai Qian.

"Hello, Qian Qian? Hello?"

"Chou Xi....I have contractions...."

Bai Qian's voice was breathless as she tried to speak.

"Oh my god....ok...alright....wait for me...."

Chou Xi hurriedly got dressed and ran across the hall. She used the spare key that Bai Qian gave her and open the door with shaky hands.

Her searching eyes frantically look around the apartment as she took off her shoes.

"Bai Qian, where are you?"

Chou Xi's mind was a mess as she open the bedroom door. Her eyes landed on Bai Qian leaning against the wall weakly.

She quickly ran over and supported her.

"Let's go."

Chou Xi grabbed the night bag and slowly help Bai Qian out the door.

The taxi came to a screeching halt in front of the emergency door. The driver took a moment to examine the two ladies in the back of the car. He stared at them nervously before he snapped out of it and rush out of the car. He open the door and help Bai Qian out.

Bai Qian caught a glimpse of the driver's face in the rear view mirror before he got out of the car. She couldn't see much in the semi darkness but she could see his body shuddered.

"Thank you." Bai Qian managed to whisper.

"No problem miss."

Another contraction hit as she got out of the car. She almost fell over if not for Chou Xi and the driver's hands of support.

Bai Qian clenched her fists tightly and her face were beaded with sweats.

"Breath....that's it....in and out....in and out...."
Chou Xi coaxed calmly and gently.

The taxi driver and Chou Xi stared at Bai Qian anxiously. The few minutes of contractions had them breathing deeply like Bai Qian.

The desperation and anxiety of the unexpected grew inside her. Time slowed down....every second of the contractions dragged on. The minute went by slowly....finally the short journey ended.

Chou Xi rush Bai Qian inside as quickly as she could.

Bai Qian sat in a wheelchair and being pushed into the elevator by the hospital's staff member and up to the Obstetrics floor.