Playing House

The delicious scent that permeates the air hit his nose as he entered.
He took off his shoes and put on the house slippers as he follow the enticing smell.

The smell of sweet and sour chicken is hypnotizing, it made his mouth watered.

Mo Yuan stood looking at Bai Qian. She had a beige apron on, hair tied back and her cheeks flushed.

Her hand was moving steadily, familiarly as she stirred the chicken in the pan. Then she placed the chopstick down and lifted the lid off a pot. She used a spoon and scoop the broth up as she tasted it.
Satisfied with the taste she turned the heat off. Her focus then turned to the chicken. She picked a piece of chicken up with the chopstick and puts it in her mouth. She chew it.... smile and turned off the stove.
She turned around and open each cabinet in search of something to put the foods in.
She tilted her head back and jumped up a few times to look.
She found what she have been searching for but it was too high for her to reach. She looked around and decided to use a chair to stand on.

So this is what having a wife and cohabiting with someone feels like....

A warm feeling invaded his heart.

Bai Qian grabbed what she wanted and slowly climbed down the chair. Hands came up and placed on her hips as she swiveled around.

Her eyes rounded as his face came into view. Bai Qian froze halfway.

"Are you waiting for me to carry you down?" He teased. She can feel his breath near her ear.

Mo Yuan lowered her down as she move away from his grasp....like a frighten animal.

"Hmm....Nanny Song have an urgent matter to attend to today so....so she took the day....I cook something to eat since she's not....I didn't expect you to be home....I..."

Bai Qian silently curse herself for stuttering and her thoughts in disarray. She's a grown woman but by the incomplete sentences that she rattled off.... you would think she's unbalanced.
His nearness always unhinged her.

Does she abhorred my touch? Why does she always keep a distance between us especially when I'm near?

"I'm hungry. Do you have enough for the both of us?" He asked her softly.

Mo Yuan doesn't know why these words left his mouth. He usually preferred western foods more then eastern foods. Seeing her in the kitchen and cooking so skillfully had him intrigued.
She certainly surprised him today. He didn't know what to expect from her but for some reason he didn't think she could cook.

"Go wash your hands and wait for me. Let me get the foods ready."

Mo Yuan nodded his head and walked towards the bathroom.

Mo Yuan looked at the sweet and sour chicken, herbal chicken soup, and stir fried spinach in front of him. Everything look and smell so good as he pick up his chopstick.

He puts a piece of chicken in his mouth and surprised that it tasted really good. The sweetness, sourness....balanced each other out. If anything it blended in nicely with the tenderness of the meat.

He grimaced and put his chopstick down as Bai Qian look at his face expectantly.

Somehow Bai Qian felt disappointed in his reaction.
This morning she woke up and craves for these foods that are on the table. She didn't expect him to be home. She assumed that he would be back late so she took the initiative to cook something for herself.
If she knew that he would be back for dinner perhaps she could make something that he might like.

Why am I even thinking about cooking for him?

Bai Qian chided herself as she toss that idea to the side.