Chapter 8 - By Its Cover

The next days were uneventful. I checked the phone after the shower like usual, to find an unread text one morning.

"Apparently someone's craving for western food. Would you mind accompanying me to this one place?" Zack asked.

It's me. I was that someone.

"No" I replied shortly.

Hanging the towel, I was about to dry my hair when a text came in. "I'm sorry that we haven't known each other long enough for you to understand that it's an order instead of a request."

I groaned. My finger had started to type a reply. "I'm only free tonight"

"Nice"

"Yeah and I hate last minute plan. You better make this good" I ended it with a gun emoji.

"Can't promise. See you at 9"

Not sure how many times I'd questioned this, but, did this guy only exist to annoy me?

**

Killing two birds with a stone. That's actually a very intelligent move. Except that he forgot to tell me that we're going to have a dinner at a hella fancy restaurant which was, of course, in my goal list.

And I was wearing a freaking sweater.

He didn't miss my deadly glance as we entered the place. And I didn't even bring that much money. Well, enough for a little bit of higher price menu but this place was too fancy man I'm telling you. I was welcomed by the one second does this lady never learn about dress code kind of look from the workers as well. Mental note to ask him what should I wear every time we go out together.

Done placing our order, he started to eye me.

"I hate you." I said.

He let out a chuckle at the sudden statement.

And now I hate you even more for being damn cute after embarrassing me. I rolled my eyes and looked out of the window. His eyes were still on me that it was getting awkward, so I finally looked him back. "Do you want a picture?" I asked with a fake sweet smile plastered on my lips.

He curved that signature half smile and shook his head. "I just thought about how this world care so much about look. If they knew who you really are, inside, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't dare to look at you that way."

My fake smile faded as he uttered those thoughtful words. "And who am I inside, Mr.?" I raised a brow.

Instead of answering, he just shrugged and leaned on his seat.

I scoffed, "How can you talk about something you don't know?"

This time, it was his smile that disappeared. He leaned in again, putting his arms on the table, "I have questions." he said seriously.

I straighten my body at his tone. "Shoot."

He was about to open his mouth when the waitress came with our drinks. We said "Thank you," and I started to sip mine as the waitress left.

"Why do you pray?"

I was quite taken aback with the question and accidentally coughed. "What?" I asked back.

Zack swallowed nothing - or probably his pride. "You heard me." He mumbled.

I wet my lips. There was a sudden change in our atmosphere and I was trying my best to cope with it. "To say thanks to Him." I answered.

His brows furrowed. "You're stuck with me and Edward and the cost is your future. Why do you say thanks?"

I looked down at the table and sipped my drink again, "For this." I showed the drink. "It's delicious, you know. Want to taste some?" I nonchalantly responded before drinking again.

It was just the fact that we're serious two seconds ago and suddenly he opened a life and death question. Give me some time to adjust, please.

His burrows stayed that way as if demanding a real answer from me. Realizing what he's actually inviting here for, I pushed my drink aside.

"Why do you ask though?" I asked genuinely.

He moved his lips apart, probably deciding where to start, "He took everything away. He took her away..." His eyes were on me but I could almost see he's picturing his mother. "If God was fair, why do I have to live like this?" He asked.

Despite the comfortable, shiny, beautiful restaurant we're at, everything seemed to be gloomy.

"Live like what?" I purposely wanted him to make his view of himself clearer.

"Like this." He stated. "In grudge, doing illegal jobs, playing with someone's life."

I took a few moments and leaned on my seat. "Then stop."

He darted his eyes to me again. "What?"

"You hate this kind of life, then stop. Forget about the grudge, find legal jobs, stop playing with my life." It's actually not that complicated in my view.

He scoffed. "Are you insane?"

"Does somebody force you to do all this?"

"Yes."

"Who?"

"Edward Kaine," His voice was full of hatred. "He sabotaged my father, he killed my mother. I have to seek revenge, Rae." He said. "He deserves to suffer."

I shook my head slightly. "We're not talking about him, we're talking about you." I stated. "What would happen if you didn't do all this?"

Once again, his lips were apart but nothing came out.

The waitress came again with our food. Zack didn't even pay her a glance so it was only me who said "Thanks". My eyes moved back to him after the waitress had walked away, only to find him stared into nothing, holding in the answer we both knew.

"You lived a peaceful life. That's what would happen." I said softly.

There was a very long silence and he wouldn't seem to be talking or touching the food anytime soon. I hadn't touch mine either.

"When prophet Muhammad SAW lost his uncle and wife in the same year, he was devastated. He could hold a grudge and stop preaching towards the people of Mecca, but he didn't." I storied. "He lived his life and did his responsibility just like before." Zack's eyes stayed on me. "Prophet Adam was thrown out of the heaven and was separated from his wife. He could rebel and do anything he wanted on earth as God seemed to not want him in paradise anymore. But he didn't. He repented and asked for Allah's guidance." He's still quiet as I continued, "Prophet Job was tested with years of illness and poverty and being left by his own family, but never had he ever once blame Him."

They were the stories we've heard since we're children. Important events had been happening so much in every stage of our lives, we gradually forgot about them and the important lessons we should've taken from them.

"I'm not asking you to do the same. You're not a prophet. But, I hope you remember that they're humans too - and just like us, they had choices," I reminded him.

It wasn't a direct advice but he's smart enough to get my point: God is fair. He gives us options on how we react to His tests. Our choices aren't the reflection of God's flaws -- it's ours. It'd be in vain if we tried to mold this world into our definition of justice, because life isn't always fair, and that's what He created hereafter for.

Now, the real question is whether we would let the tests of this world build us or ruin us.

After what felt like forever, he slightly nodded and started to touch his food. There's nothing much to say so I just ate as well. The vibe had changed and we devoured the food very much peacefully.

Done eating, Zack called for the bill. I'd already passed my money but he kept resisting to pay by saying that he was raised a gentleman and it'd hurt his pride. Like I care. The waitress giggled at our small argument about the payment and for some reason I felt like an idiot. Eventually I shut up and gave in. My attire had decreased my confidence, honestly.

Stepping out of the place, he said while walking, "If you're afraid that I paid with illegal money, just remember that I teach hacking classes as well and that thing is definitely legal." He smiled before getting into the car.