Epilogue I - Broke

Tomorrow's the day.

After 5 years, Ed would finally be released from prison. He was sentenced to be inside for 10 years but because of his good attitude, he'd be released sooner.

It felt like there was a big elephant in the room, remembering that fact while eating my lunch with Zack. We didn't usually meet these days. After finishing our degrees, I decided to open a small book store - a partnership with Hayley, while Zack was currently working as a supervisor for technology department of a company. We were still in contact from time to time, but having a lunch like this was a rare meetup he suddenly requested.

"Rae." He called once he finished the food.

I was still chewing, so I just raised my brows.

He pushed his plate away, signing he's done and was looking forward to break as to why he wanted us to meet. "You know what tomorrow is." He started.

I was pretty sure my face expression went obviously, drastically change after he opened that topic. The last bite somehow felt bitter as I swallowed it in my throat. "Yes." I answered after wiping my mouth with a piece of tissue.

"So..." He seemed hesitated. "I... uh, I mean," he let out a small cough. "We,"

My heart beat faster as he said that word. My brain was battling whether or not to stop him and deflect to another topic, but realizing the reality, we had to talk about this sooner or later.

And it's only tomorrow, for heaven's sake. I sighed internally.

Gathering his courage, Zack directly went to the point. "What do you say, about us, getting official?"

It should make me surprise but my nervousness had somehow overcome everything. I made him wait, for one minute... and then two... I just don't want to answer.

"It's probably just me being paranoid for nothing but, I think Ed should be reminded that your act is over. And, maybe, a ring around your finger will do." He offered a nervous smile.

I still couldn't find a way to answer him. Breaking eye contact, I wet my lips, trying to find the right words. Or even, just the right decision whether or not I should tell him.

What are you thinking? Of course you should. You literally have less than 24 hours left!

Then it was my turn to find some courage. Deep breath, I opened my mouth. "Zack, remember when I asked you to do me a favor and change solely for Him, not for me?"

Zack creased his brows. "I do. What about it?"

"I..." My voice was cut. I didn't think I could do this.

"Are you going somewhere, Rae?" He guessed warily.

"No." I answered quickly. "It's just that..." Here goes nothing. "I-I'm getting married with someone else." The words came too fast and I stuttered, not sure if he could catch it.

He was stunned. His eyes stayed on me unbelievably. We both didn't say anything but just sat there wondering if this had really happened. After what seemed like forever, he found his voice again. "Who?" it was low and serious.

I didn't answer.

"I ask you, Rae. Who?" He pressed with a lower tone.

I closed my eyes for a second to ease myself. "It's Ed."

If Zack had a heart attack, I didn't think he would survive this moment. His expression was a shock. I wished I could just say, 'Surprise surprise, I was just joking!' but hell, I didn't.

"I was desperate." I justified my action while still not looking at him.

He seemed to process the whole thing. Finally, he figured. "Is that how..."