18

chapter eighteen

I walk into the kitchen, still confused by what happened at the studio Friday

"I'm Joe."

"Uh, hi?"

"Who are you?" Reece asks. 

"Joe O'Neil. I'm a manager."

"A manager?" George looks over at him in surprise. "Like for bands and stuff?"

"Like for bands and stuff."

"What's a manager doing here?" I question. 

"I'm guessing the man that's in studio 3 is your father, based off of how much you guys look alike."

"So?"

"He wanted me to check on a song, see how it was sounding. I even brought a member of the band with me."

"I thought nobody else was coming in today?"

"It was a last minute thing."

"Oh."

"Jess, you don't have to ask him so many questions." Blake says quietly.

"Well I'm going to ask him a lot of questions because he scared the crap out of me."

"Sorry about that."

"It's fine now."

Blake walks into the room, giving me a confused look. 

"What's wrong? You look like something's wrong."

"I'm just thinking about Friday."

"But why do you have a look?"

"I don't have a look."

"Yes you do."

"What kind of look?"

"Like it's a bad thing."

I sigh. "And what if it is?"

"What do you mean?"

"You three would be relocated. We'd have to do the whole long distance thing."

"And that's bad? You had already talked about moving to London after you finished university."

"Exactly. After I've finished university. You guys would be going this fall when I start my first year."

"I see what you mean now."

He reaches over, putting his hand on mine. 

"Look, we can get through the long distance. It might seem hard at first, but I promise you I'll come home every weekend to see you."

"And what about your family?"

"I'll see them too."

I nod.