08

Chapter eight

"Oh come on Jessica!"

"No!"

"The spring formal is coming up soon. You should ask him!"

"Ken, no. I'm not asking someone I barely know to the spring formal."

"Why?"

"Because I literally just met him last month! It's the end of January, I shouldn't even be thinking about it."

"Jessica-"

"Ken, stop. I'm not going with anyone this year."

"That's bullshit. If you're not going with Blake you'll wind up going with Carly and George."

"I meant I'm not going with a date."

"Right. I knew that."

"Sure you did." I roll my eyes. "Well I've gotta get to school. I'll see you when I get home."

"Wait!"

"What now?"

"What are you doing for your birthday? I wanna see if I can come home for my little sisters seventeenth birthday."

"I'm not sure. I'll probably just invite a few friends over and we can watch movies."

"That sounds boring."

"What?"

"Throw a party! You've never had a real birthday party because we're always moving. You should do one this year!"

"Maybe for my 18th."

"Ugh. You're so complicated."

"I know."

I walk out the door, somehow managing to come out at the same time as Blake.

My stomach gets this weird feeling, and I shake my head, trying to make it go away.

Only it gets worse the closer we get to each other.

Well fuck me.

"Good morning Jess." He says when we both reach the bus stop.

"Morning Blake."

"Are you going to the party at Bryce's tonight?"

"Ugh. Carly's dragging me. Are you?"

He shrugs. "I don't really have anyone to hang out with."

"Really? I figured you would've met some people by now."

"I did, and now they hate me for taking Anderson's place as captain."

He got it?

"Wow, congrats."

"Thanks."

"And it's not their fault you're better than him. You kicked his ass out there."

He nods.