The Fake Hero

Y/N POV

"I'm afraid we shall have to send the students home. I'm afraid... this is the end of Hogwarts..."

Professor Lockhart suddenly came in cheerfully, "So sorry. Dozed off. What have I
missed?"

"Just the man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last." Professor Snape answered with no emotion.

"My-My-My m-moment?" Professor Lockhart asked worriedly.

"Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Professor Snape interrogated him.

"D-did I? I don't recall..."

"That settles it. We'll leave it to you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are legend." Professor McGonagall said, thoughtfully.

"V-very well. I'll-I'll be in my office, getting -getting ready." stuttered Professor Lockhart as he hurried off.

"The rest of us should go and inform the students what has happened."

"Who is it the monster's taken, Minerva?"

"Ginny Weasley..."

I looked at Ron. His eyes became big and he looked very anxious and worried.

...

"She knew something. She'd found out something about the Chamber of Secrets. That's why she was taken. I mean, she was-
is- a pure-blood. There can't be any other reason." cried Ron.

"I'm sure, she will be fine." I reassured him, although I wasn't really positive about it myself.

Harry quickly changed the subject, "C'mon. Let's go see Lockhart. He may be a brainless git, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber. We can tell him what we
know..."

"Do you guys think there's any chance at all she's not, you know..." Ron whispered to us.

"We'll find her, Ron. Ginny's going to be fine."

Ron smiled weakly and nodded trying to show that he's alright but I can tell that he was scared inside...

Once we reached Professor Lockhart's office, we dashed in without knocking "Professor, we've got some information for you-" We stopped in our tracks.

Professor Lockhart was busily packing up all his belongings and it seem like he was going somewhere.

"Are you going somewhere Professor Lockhart?" I asked

"Um, well, yes. Urgent call. Unavoidable. Got to go!" He blabbered.

"What about my sister?" Ron asked anxiously

"Well, as to that-most unfortunate. No one regrets more than I-"
"You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher! You can't go now!" shouted Ron.

"I must say, when I took the job, nothing in the job description talking about-"

"You're running away? After all that stuff you did in your books?!" Harry asked with disbelief.

"Books can be misleading."

"You wrote the books!!"

"My dear boy, do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done all those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from
werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all..."

I couldn't believe what this man was saying! I couldn't take it anymore. "You're a fraud! You've just been taking credit for what a load of
other wizards have done!"

"No no no. There was work involved. I had to track these people down and ask them exactly how they managed to do what they did. No, it's not all book signings and publicity photos. You want fame, you have to be prepared for a long, hard slog." He explained urgently.

"Well, is there anything you can do?" Ron asked rather coldly.

"Yes, now that you mention it. I'm rather gifted with Memory Charms. Otherwise, you see, all those wizards would've gone blabbing and I'd never have sold another book. I'm afraid I'll have to do the same to you three, least you do the same." He lifted his wand up to say the spell but Harry was quicker. "Expelliarmus!"

Professor Lockhart's wand went flying up in the air as he fell backwards.

"Looks like those Dueling Lessons came in handy after all, Professor."