05 | Dirty Traitor

Start from the beginning

I sigh deeply, because I do know how her parents are. I'm shocked they even let her attend the party, to be honest. But still, why did it have to be his phone? Where were her other friends? God knows Jessica always had the most. Sure, I socialized with people, but I was never tight with them. I was always content with Bea and Jess as my best friends, and Liam as my boyfriend, and all of the guy friends that came along with him. Jess was different, she loved climbing the social ladder and making new friends. So where were all of these peoples' asses she loved to kiss when she needed them? Why was my boyfriend the one she went to for help?

"And you were just being her knight in shining armor by offering up your phone, huh?" I ask skeptically.

"More like I was the closest person to her at the moment. I felt bad. She's wasted, Lyn. I think Bea's gonna take her home in a few."

I hate the way my heart softens when he calls me Lyn again, simply because it means I still have a connection to Miami. It's stupid, and so is his reasoning for giving someone he was never close with his phone, but so am I for accepting it. It's all so, so stupid, and yet, I'm slowly getting over my anger.

"Okay." That's all I say, because I'm unsure of what else there is to be said.

His face disappears for a moment due to a poor connection, and when it returns, he asks, "Where the hell are you?"

I guess the poor connection is on me. I've assumed the room is soundproof because I can't hear a damn thing, but now I know for sure it is, and that must be messing with the signal. Plus, it's an abandoned warehouse. I'm sure the wifi here is practically nonexistent.

"My cousin took me to some party at a warehouse. I'm sitting alone in a room because I literally cannot stand the crowd," I explain, the lie slipping off my tongue way too easily.

He nods and then disappears again, but I can still hear him when he talks. "Are you gonna stay there any longer?"

My mood has been ruined, and even the alcohol that was flowing through my veins feels like it's worn down. The last thing I want to do is be anywhere but in my bed, either sleeping or crying. Whichever one comes first, I guess.

I shake my head and frown. "Probably not."

"Alright, then I'm gonna hang up and leave in a few. Text me when you get home?"

Hah, if he wanted me to shoot him a text when I got home then he'd be waiting a long ass time. That house my parents moved me into is not my home.

"Sure," I say instead, not wanting to get into my sob story and possibly cry when I can't even see his damn face.

The call ends right after that. Damn, did I press end or did he without saying goodbye?

I sigh again, because nothing about that call felt right. I'm just suddenly too tired to deal with it.

"Trouble in paradise?" Jalen asks from across the room.

"Shut the fuck—" My words are cut off when I look up and see the guy standing next to Jalen, the person I'm assuming he's been talking too and laughing with while I was on the phone, watching my relationship slowly crumble. This guy looks really familiar.

"Such a potty mouth," Jalen teases while walking back over to where I'm sitting. "What am I gonna do with you?"

I make a disgusted face. "You will do nothing with me."