Chapter 20 - I Have a Theory

"We have a problem."

Caden, Keria and Grathan were standing on the castle walls, surveying a large catapult that had been lifted from it's long forgotten storage bunker earlier that day.

"And what is the problem, Grathan?" Caden asked. "The thing seems sound enough and surely you can re-string or re-rope or whatever you call it, so it fires again."

"The wood's sound enough and yes we can replace the old rope with new, but that's not the problem," Grathan continued, he seemed to be reluctant to tell the king what the problem actually was.

"Spit it out, man," Caden was getting increasingly frustrated with Grathan's stalling.

"Well, you know these things are quite old and they have been lying forgotten for many years. In saying that, the craftsmanship is superb and the runes look as new. There is no doubt we can easily get them to fire again." Grathan continued. "The problem is their range."

"I don't follow," Caden said.

Keria, on the other hand, did. "You're saying they won't reach outside the city boundary?"

"I'm sorry to say, they won't. When these things were built, I'm not sure if the secondary wall had even been constructed. Look out there, the city has expanded three or four streets beyond that wall. We fire these now, we'll be destroying our own city."

Caden stood shaking his head, obviously annoyed but not sure who to take his anger out on.

"Well, are they good for anything or will I give the order to dismantle the machines and we can throw lumps of wood at the Darnach?"

Grathan slowly shook his head, "I'm afraid their useless, Sire. The good news is we can still use the smaller Ballistas when the enemy reach the gates."

Caden raised an eyebrow. "And you think that's good news? An enemy at the gates of Darkspur. Erwethwen save me, I'm surrounded by idiots."

He turned, storming away from the Ward who stood, head bowed, cursing his own stupidity. Keria trailed after Caden, from experience knowing the next person to get in his way would probably come to regret it. That person was a young Page. As they descended the wall, he ran up to the King and stood to attention in front of Caden, a letter extended in his hand.

"Boy, you better get out of my way or I will be forced to stuff that letter where the sun doesn't shine," he roared at the boy.

The page flinched at the king's unexpected anger, taking a step back, nearly falling down the stairs.

"Caden," Keria exclaimed, "This is not his fault, control yourself."

Caden turned, fury etched on his face, surprised that she would chastise him so openly and for as second Keria thought it was maybe her turn to bear the king's wrath. But Caden abruptly stopped when he saw his daughter-in-law's 'just try it' expression firmly planted on her face. He sighed, turning to the young boy.

"I apologise, you are not the one I am angry at, boy. Now, the letter please," he said, reaching out, trying to be as calm as possible.

The page quickly passed him the letter and ran off down the stone staircase.

"It's from, Egrinlast," he said as he broke the seal. "About time if you ask me."

He paused, reading the letter's contents. As Keria watch, herself desperate for news, the king's face whitened.

"Oh no," he said, slumping onto the staircase. "The Darnach have Milly and Sameth."

Keria felt her world spin, her heart jumped in her chest, her whole body shook as adrenalin shot through her veins.