Chapter 9 - Unwelcome News

Soon after Orophin's hasty retreat, a small contingent of five elves made their way along the main street to the castle. The gates had been opened and a ceremonial guard posted either side of the entrance, all wearing their finest dress uniforms. At a glance it all looked very impressive but with closer inspection the suits were ill fitting, crumpled and dusty. In reality most of the regalia had been quickly dragged from long forgotten chests and hurriedly attached to the first soldier that happened to walk by. Caden wasn't a King for pomp and ceremony.

Egrinlast rode at the head of the group, trying not to wince every time his horse rose and fell, rubbing at his blister further. Orophin was to one side, trying not to laugh at his friends plight.

"Locals don't seem so aggressive this time, Sire," Orophin pointed out. Most were now waving with smiles on their face.

"They have worked out that an Elven army has arrived at their doorstep, an army that needs provisions. You can bet the prices have doubled in the time it's taken us to ride from one end of this street to the other," Egrinlast said.

They passed through the castle gates into the heavily fortified courtyard beyond, the Castle Guard eyeing them warily from the battlements.

"They don't look as friendly in here," Orophin said, nervously rubbing the pommel of his sword.

"You really need to learn to relax more, Orophin. Nothing is going to happen," Egrinlast said, trying to reassure his second in command.

They continued following the road, passing through several more courtyards containing smithies, stables and warehouses. All those the Elves rode by stopped whatever task they were set to; smiths pausing mid swing and stable boys forgetting their work. All the while the Guard kept their attentive watch from above.

Eventually, after traversing round almost the whole perimeter of the Keep, they reached the inner courtyard. Caden, Ordwin and Keria stood waiting at the top of the main staircase into the castle as the Elves entered, an appalling fanfare blaring out from five heralds standing on the ramparts above. The two men could barely stifle their laughter at the din, both nudging each other like naughty, excited school boys; Keria felt more embarrassed at the antics of her elders than that of the pathetic attempts at regal ceremony. The King still hadn't put his crown on, the main reason being he couldn't remember where he had it last. Several squires were now scurrying about his private quarters looking for the circlet.

The Elves trotted slowly up to the bottom staircase, passing a line ceremonial Guard that stood to attention as they neared. Egrinlast shifted on his saddle, wincing slightly as his blister stung his rear yet again. To those around it must have seemed like a face of disdain from the Elf, rather than one of discomfort. He dismounted, his guard following suit, stable boys appearing to lead away their horses.

"A stirring welcome your Highness, if ever I have heard one," Egrinlast called to Caden. "Maybe next time though, you could give me some warning and I will stuff my ears with cotton."

Keria was shocked, she didn't expect the meeting to be more than formal but right from the off it looked as if it was going to be downright hostile. She looked at Ordwin but he just smirked.

"Forgive me Egrinlast, I have heard the music of Elves and thought it quite on par with your finest minstrels," Caden retorted.

Keria noticed that a couple of the Elven guard accompanying their leader seemed to be quietly laughing, though Orophin, the messenger from earlier, looked openly angry. Something was going on but Orophin was in the dark as much as Keria.

"Forgive me your Majesty," Egrinlast continued. "But we have travelled many leagues today and are in need of refreshment. Am I to be left standing out here like a dog or are we to be invited into your hovel?"