New Roads! Chapter 8

Começar do início

The three remaining chariots were filled with chickens and pigs in cages. I had decided that they were part of the food supplies.

It took us three days to prepare everything. Then we spent the whole evening lifting the wagons to ground level. By the fourth morning, we left the ruins to join back with the rest of the Expedition.

Because our caravan was so much longer, it took the whole day to travel what we would have done in half a morning before. I was driving the wagon of food supplies, followed by those filled with the farm animals since I had never driven before the first ten minutes were difficult then a message popped.

"Through repetitive actions, you have learned the following skill: Driver, Beginner 1 (0%) You can now drive a small wagon pulled by a bull or caw."

As the day went by my stat rapidly rose. When it reached Beginner 6, the skill description changed.

"You can now drive a small wagon or trailer pulled by a bull, cow, or donkey."

I calculated at this rate it would take us at least ten days to go back to Djaden and that was if we took the largest paths and quickest way back.

When we arrived, the Captain was waiting for us. She looked at the caravan, the animals and then at me.

"Tell this was not your idea too."

"It was not my idea."

"That's a lie, isn't it."

"Yes, it is."

She turned back, accompanied by Beok who was starting to report on everything they still had to discuss and that he couldn't tell her through a simple written message.

I was left behind and decided to check on the food rations gathered at the clearing camps.

As I went through the tents soldiers would come to talk to me wanting to know how things went at the ruins. To avoid them I started faking a limp with my wounded leg and told them I would be back after quick medical treatment.

I went to see the old driver, he was proudly standing showing me, he had kept his words.

We discussed a little bit then I started preparing food for the 83 remaining men of the Expedition.

The next day we left camp at dawn. We rode all day, stopping briefly for lunch. I fed the animals with the help of the old driver.

In mid-afternoon, the captain sat net to me next to the wagon driver's bench.

"I heard that you have been of great help during the infiltration."

"How so?"

"Your quick thinking and disposition made it easier to take the place over and avoid useless deaths. There is also the tactics you suggested for the camps battle."

"Ah."

"You went over and beyond your Cook duties."

"Maybe."

"Beok told me you are Kaden's student?"

"Teacher taught you me weapons Mastery and gave me the bases for my hand to hand combat. I would be honored if he did consider me his student."

"I see... well when you see him again give him this from me."

The redheaded woman handed me a wax-sealed paper scroll."

"You have received the object Captain Miller's letter to Kaden. Captain miller asked you to deliver it to the Training Hall Master on her behalf. Do you accept this errand?"