Talk

Double update today because I feel like shit for not updating when I should've. Enjoy!

♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧♤♡◇♧

Severus looked at Potter, who was sitting on the dark couch and staring into his tea mug. Severus coughed softly, causing Potter to look up at the older man. 

"I don't think you ever answered my question," he said softly. "Why do you care about me?" Potter sighed and looked back at his drink. 

"I don't know," he said, just as softly. "At first, I just wanted to make sure you were okay after the Carrows showed up. But then I started spending time with you and learning about you. You were always an enigma to me, so it was interesting to learn more about who you were, what you liked..." Potter trailed off, shrugging. 

"I began to enjoy being in your presence - there was something calming about it. After a long day of struggling and getting constantly annoyed, I could come here and relax. I trusted you. I still trust you," he said, finally looking up and staring into Severus' eyes. 

Severus almost drowned in the raw depth of emotion that showed in Potter's eyes before realizing that he hadn't ever seen Potter be this open with anyone. 

"Why do you trust me? I'm the one who constantly picks on you and belittles you for something that you have no control over. I'm the one who makes your days so difficult," he said. 

Potter chuckled. "You have quite the ego," he joked. "It's not just you. In fact, I've gotten used to your jabs, and I kind of find them funny. What annoys me is the way people treat me now. I mean, they always treated me like a celebrity, but now it's even more so. Even Ron and Hermione have fallen into the habit, and I hate it. You're a constant. You never fell into that trap. You treat me like Harry Potter, not like the Saviour of the Wizarding World. It's like a breath of fresh air, to be honest," he explained. 

Severus nodded slightly. The man had a point - he had observed the way Potter's peers acted around him, and could definitely pick up on Potter's irritation in response to the celebrity treatment. 

"If being here brings you such relief, why haven't you come by recently?" he asked. 

Potter shrugged. "I've been so stressed out about this whole thing, with the Carrows and now Greyback, that I've barely even been able to get into my own bed before I collapse. I've wanted to come, trust me," he said. 

Severus raised an eyebrow. "How much sleep have you been getting?" he asked. Potter tilted his head to the side, thinking. "Five hours a night, if I'm lucky. Normally it's closer to two to four hours," he replied. Severus resisted the urge to pinch his nose. 

"And are you eating?" he asked. Potter paused. "Not actual meals," he said. "More like I'll grab something and eat it on the way. I'm probably not eating as much as I should, but it's not a big deal," he said, shrugging again. This time, Severus did pinch the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes in preparation to deal with the young man's stupidity. 

"Potter," he began, "you have to eat. Full, regular meals. If you don't eat, you can't focus as well and your energy levels drop. In addition, your health declines if you don't eat," he said. "And you need to sleep. Again, sleep affects your focus, energy levels, and health. If you don't eat or sleep, you will get sick, and you will crash. If you don't have time to take care of your health, then you need to let something drop," Severus advised. 

Potter sighed and looked at his mug. "I know I need to take care of myself, but it's hard when there's so many things pressing at me that I need to take care of," he said. 

"You can start by scheduling some 'you' time," Severus said. "Pick three or four days, and set a time where you do what you want to do. Relax or play a game, but do something that makes you happy and allows you to recharge," he said. 

Potter gave Severus a small half-smile. "And if I wanted to come here?" he asked. 

Severus looked at Potter. 

"I wouldn't mind a bit," he replied.