Revealed

Harry woke to a loud bang and pain flaring through his leg as he startled. 

"Wha-?" he muttered, rubbing his eyes and blindly patting the floor next to the couch for his glasses. A loud growl from outside startled him again as Severus stumbled out of his room in an odd mixture of slacks, a pajama top, and a half-donned bathrobe. Harry would have laughed if the situation were different, but the door shook as whatever was on the other side banged against it again. 

"What time is it?" Harry asked quietly, hoping the creature outside couldn't hear him. 

"Too damn early," Severus scowled. "Cast a shield around yourself, I'm going to open the door from here." Both wizards cast their shields before Severus allowed the door to open. A large animal fell into the room, evidently having been preparing for a third assault on the door. Severus was halfway through casting a Binding Charm when Harry yelled, "Wait!" Severus lowered his wand and looked at the younger incredulously. 

"Ron?" Harry asked, visibly confused. Severus turned back to see the animal having regained its footing, proving itself to be a large cougar. Odd, considering cougars weren't native to Scotland. Or any part of Europe, for that matter. The cougar shook and glared at Severus before stalking to Harry's side. Severus went to raise his wand again but stopped when Harry reached over and scratched behind the cougar's ears. 

"Relax, Ron, he won't hurt me," he said. 

"So you are not the only unregistered Animagus on these school grounds," Severus said, finally sheathing his wand. Ron growled. Harry pinched him. 

"At ease, Ron. It's fine." Ron huffed and plopped his chin in Harry's lap, looking at Severus distrustfully. "Incorrect, Ron has registered himself-" The cougar let out a low rumble. "Unless he's procrastinated on sending the paperwork in again," Harry continued, looking down at Ron sternly. Ron just whined and avoided eye contact, and Harry sighed. 

"As wonderful as all this is, why is Mr. Weasley barging into my rooms at 6:30 in the morning?" Severus asked, arms crossed. 

"Well, he would have to answer that himself, which he is incapable of doing at the moment," Harry pointed out, a light smile in his eyes. 

"Of course," Severus said, turning and retreating to his bedroom. 

"Do you even have clothes to change into?" Harry asked as the cougar stood and began to shift. 

"Of course I do, what do you take me for? A nudist?" the redhead teased, walking to the corner with a blanket around his waist. A levitation charm and three minutes later, Ron emerged fully dressed. 

"Seriously though, why are you here?" Harry asked, carefully sliding over so his best friend could join him on the couch. 

"Well, the bat-" 

"He has a name, Ron." 

"Ugh, fine, Snape asked about you yesterday and I thought it was odd, then I was out for a run this morning and I smelled your scent. I tracked it here and decided to check on you," Ron explained. 

"Your concern for your friend is admirable, but you should know that I would never intentionally put any student within Hogwarts in danger," Severus's silky voice floated from behind them as the older man rejoined them in the living room, now fully dressed in day robes. Ron looked at Harry, brows furrowed. 

"Did he just compliment me?" he asked. Harry shrugged a shoulder. 

"In a roundabout way, yes. But he knows that I'd chew him out if he spoke bad about you, especially in my presence," he chuckled. Severus sighed.