Six: Ilgob Wangja (일곱 왕자)

Start from the beginning

You nodded confidently back to him, feeling your nerves dissipate and your fighting spirit shining through.

"I will make France proud," you replied as you hold your head high.

"Such a strong young woman," your uncle grinned proudly as he pinched your chin, "Your father... and mother, would be so proud of you right now."

Your heart stuttered at the mention of your parents, hoping his assumption was correct. Your uncle gently patted your hair, acting informally in the moment. Treating you as a niece rather than a royal. The moment warmed your heart and surged the assurance in yourself. It was just what you needed in that moment.

"Duc Audric," a guard standing by the door addressed your uncle, "You shall enter now."

He gave you a swift smile as he left you and went to prepare himself by the door, flanked by several of the top guards in your company. Including Michault. Your friend looked back at you quickly, flashing you a wink before standing in line behind your uncle.

The large doors opened with a loud creak and the group of men disappeared through it. Now you were completely alone in the hallway.

You waited patiently outside the throne room, repetitively checking your dress, hair, and crown to make sure they stayed in place. After several long minutes, the doors made a loud groaning noise as they were unlocked.

This was it.

Quickly lifting your shoulders confidently and folding your hands underneath your chest, you waited for the doors to completely open toward you. Taking a deep breath, you allowed confidence to seep through your body and gain your regal poise. You could do this.

The large doors swung wide before you, revealing a massive decorated much like the rest of the palace, but much more extravagant.

The wooden walls and décor were painted in several bright colors, but primarily in red and polished gold. The ceilings were much higher than anywhere else you had seen in the building and ornamented with intricate coffers and a heavily bracketed roofline.

"Emperor Kim," a voice of the royal guard echoed before the entryway, "The Princess of France, presented to your honor."

You kept your eyes down and the dark stone floor, remembering your royal Goryean protocol to not view the Emperor until told as you entered the hall. Gracefully, you strode down the lined walkway hearing astonished gasps and frantic whispers to your right where the imperial court stood.

Trying your best to ignore them, you continued moving forward until you saw the edge of red platform denoting you were standing before the throne. Stopping yourself just before the platform to show your respect in proper custom to the county's ruler.

"Your majesty," you spoke quietly, but in a strong tone as you sunk to the floor. Landing on your knees you elegantly proceeded to sit back on your ankles and bend your body forward, folding yourself into a deep bow on the floor.

The room remained silent as you laid still on the cold stone, not daring to stand until the emperor was sure of your respect as a guest in his kingdom.

"Rise," the simple word boomed from his mouth, resonating his power throughout the hall.

You did as you were told standing to your feet quickly, yet gracefully. Hoping your smooth movements would impress the mighty ruler. Gently folding your hands in front on you, you kept your head down waiting for permission to meet his gaze.

"Please, face me," this time, the emperor's voice was softer. The command almost sounding like a hopeful request, but still authoritative nonetheless.