Love Me Tender

"Open." My eyes fluttered open and the woman, Rita, Roger had hired to do my hair and makeup for the wedding applied another layer of mascara to my top lashes. "Isn't she beautiful?" Roger spoke from the doorway, pressing a bottle of beer to his lips. "Very." Rita agreed, brushing a blush over my own blushing cheeks. "And she could've done her own hair and makeup." I retorted, looking over at Roger with a smug grin on his face.

He held his hands up in defense and sauntered over to where I was sitting. "Got a surprise for you when you're done." He pressed a kiss to my cheek and left us alone so she could finish her work. My cheeks flushed even more at the thought of what the surprise could be. ""I'm sorry about him." She smiled and lifted my head to get a better view. "Don't be. I've worked with Roger for years, it's nice to see him in love." I tried not to smile as she brushed more power over the spot where Roger had his lips.

She finished off by swiping a light pink color over my lips and stood behind me in the mirror with a smile on her face. "I'm finished. Now don't let him ruin my work." She said as she packed up all of her things. "Cant make any promises, can love?" Roger had reappeared in the doorway again and had his eyes trained on me. Rita had made her way to the door and patted Roger on his shoulder. "Take care of her Rog, she's a good one." "Oh I know." I waved bye to her as she left the apartment.

I turned my attention back to Roger who was still leaning against the doorframe looking at me. "What's the surprise." "Wouldn't you like to know?" He said in a playful manner as he walked over and stood behind me. "Have you been in my rob the entire time?" I looked down at the black silk that had adorned my body the entire time I had my hair and makeup done. "Maybe." I started smiling looking up at Roger in the mirror. He gently pushed the material off my shoulder, revealing my bare skin underneath and pressed a light kiss to it.

"Think I like it on you more than me." He moved to other side and moved it off my other shoulder. "Lucky we're on a tight time frame or I'd be finding out what you have on under here." He pressed his lips to the crook of my neck and I tilted my head to give him better access. "Or what you don't have on." He whispered in my ear sending shivers down my spine. "Close your eyes." I was hesitant at first, but I did as he asked and closed my eyes. A cool metal hit my neck and Roger fiddled his fingers around the back of my neck, the clasp of a necklace I would assume.

"Open." I opened my eyes quick wanting to see what he had put on me, leaning closer to the mirror so I could get a better view. It was a necklace like I had thought, with two drumsticks crossed and Roger's birthstone, a ruby, sitting where they met. "Roger, I-" I was at a loss for words over the gift around my neck. It was so beautiful and meant more to me than he would ever know. "I wanted you to have part of me all the time, even when I'm gone." I stood quickly and wrapped my arms around his neck tight. "I love it. I love you."

"Say it again." He whispered against my lips. I smiled before firmly pressing my lips to his and giving his chest a gentle push towards the bed where he had a suit laid out. "Go get dressed."

---------------

I sat in the back row of the chapel, holding the champagne glass I was given upon arriving so tightly my knuckles were turning white. Roger had seen an old friend and went over to say hello but that was 15 minutes ago. I had been left alone in the room full of people I had never met and none of them seemed interested in meeting me. It wasn't like I just blended into the background either, everyone was wearing white. I couldn't help but laugh looking down at my risqué black dress, I knew Mary would die when I told her about it.

"Relax, love." Roger had found his way back to me and took the glass out of my hand, allowing me to stretch out my fingers that had started to cramp from the death grip I had. "Hard to relax when everyone is starring and I look like I'm going to a funeral for the man I've been having an affair with." I slid down in my seat, more relaxed now that Roger was back, but still on edge with everyone's wandering eyes. "You cheating on me already?" I rolled my eyes as he let out a low snicker.