Too Close

Roger sat with a scowl on his face, his light blue eyes now dark and starring at me. A medic was wrapping his hand from where he had punched the door out of anger after I told him what had happened. "Roger it's not-" he held his other hand up to stop me from talking. "Don't say another word to me." I closed my mouth and sunk down in the couch in the dressing room. I didn't understand why he was mad at me, I hadn't even done anything. "Might swell a little, but shouldn't last too long." The medic finished up and closed his kit before leaving us alone again.

He stood up and rubbed it before letting out a sigh. "Roger you don't understand." "Don't understand? Don't understand what, Memphis? Don't understand how your boyfriend, a supposed man put his hands on you?" He snapped at me and I looked away from him, but I could feel his angry glare on me. "You're right I don't fucking understand." And with that he walked off to the stage to finally start the show, leaving me alone to contemplate my thoughts of how I would explain what had happened. How I would explain why Roger punched his door

---------------

Even though his hand was obviously hurt, he still played like nothing had happened. I sat in the room for one song before I decided to join Mary at the side of the stage, telling her everything that happened. "He just cares about you is all. Why do you think he got so worked up?" She was bopping her head along to one of the songs they were playing while I was sulking beside her. After they finished a song Roger would look over and give me a menacing look, even if I offered a soft smile his expression wouldn't change.

If he cared so much why was he so mad at me? I knew he wouldn't understand why I stayed so long, but I didn't think he would get this mad at me over it. Mad enough to hurt his own damn self. I couldn't lose my job, I'd lose my apartment. Then what would I do? Hop from couch to couch hoping I found another job? It didn't even matter now, I wouldn't have anything when I got back there. No job and likely no apartment. I had been saving here and there and could go another month or two, but after that I was left with nothing. It was too late in the semester for me to get a dorm on campus and the last thing I wanted was a roommate.

I tried to push past all the stress that was starting to overcome me, I wanted to enjoy this while I was here. Even if it meant roger didn't talk to me again. Frankly I felt that might be best for both of us. I hadn't noticed but I had been starring at my feet the entire time I was thinking and I looked back up, my gaze going straight to Roger and of course he hadn't looked away from me, but this time his face was softer, sad almost. But it quickly changed when he saw I was looking again. Him and Freddie had started goofing off and making faces at each other while Roger did a solo, making Mary and I laugh. He seemed to be perking up as the show went on which took some stress off of me.

They were finishing off the last song and Roger had stood while banging on his drums showing off and I couldn't help but grin at him. He was a big goof everytime he got behind his drums, letting out a different side of him when he played. I liked both sides, but this was my favorite. They finished the final song and the crowd had started cheering for them and they were soaking it all in. I couldn't believe how big they had gotten in such a short time frame.

My smile quickly fell into shock with my mouth open when Roger lunged forward and forcibly shoved his bass drum off his stand, nearly hitting Freddie who quickly ran to the side with us. We all stood in horror as Roger destroyed his entire set. Throwing the snare drum down hard and busting it. John and Brian had found their way past Roger's fit and we all stood there looking on, mouths open unable to even say anything about what we saw. He finished with his cymbals, throwing them even harder and stormed off his stand towards us.

"What the Bloody hell was that Rog?" Freddie tried to stop him and get answers. "Don't touch me." He growled back at him, shoving through us and heading towards the dressing room again. We all looked at each other dumbfounded, but I knew it was because of me. "Who's going to handle that?" John questioned and I felt all eyes land on me, my eyes grew wide and it felt like my heart had stopped. "No. No. No way. I'm the last person he wants to see." "I'll do it." Freddie offered. I bit the inside of my cheek and he gave my shoulder a light squeeze before walking off.

Roger Taylor

I stood bent over in front of the mirror, my hands resting on the counter trying to level my breathing. I couldn't think straight after what Memphis told me, that bastard hitting her and choking her. I clenched my jaw tight. She should've been with me, I should've taken her with me the night at the bar. I knew this would happen.

A knock at the door brought me out of my thoughts and I stood and turned as Freddie walked in the door closing it behind him. "What did she tell you?" "He told her to stay away from me. He's hit her. And bruised her arms and now he's choked her." I was getting worked up again at the thought of him hurting her and I turned back to the vanity and knocked everything that was on it off. "I could've protected her. I should've been there." "You can't protect her from everything." "But I can try." I bit back at him and he laughed shaking his head at me.

"When did you fall in love with her?" I furrowed my brows at what he had said. "What?" "Roger, dear, when have you ever cared about protecting a girl? You hide from all the ones you sleep with until they leave, not caring what happens." "It's different." I rolled my eyes at what he was saying, I know I didn't love her. We were friends, of course I cared about her. "Different because you let her see you." Freddie pressed on. "I see the two of you when you both think no ones watching, you're very careful with her."

My lip twitched into a snarl, knowing where he was going with this. "Scared of letting her get too close?" "Oh fuck off." He turned and headed towards the door to leave. "Ever think it wouldn't be too bad if she did get close?" "You and I both know i'd hurt her." I was confused when he started smiling at me. "Rog, dear, weren't you just going on about protecting her?"

------------------

I wrote most of this on my hour break in-between shifts today @ work

this chapter is a little short and boring so the next one can be a little long and exciting ;)