10. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE EVE ~ Z.K

Y/N'S POV
Merry Christmas Eve Eve!!. Yea you read that right, it's the eve before Christmas Eve, and on this night my family always has our annual family dinner with the Kuwonu's.

My family has been friends with the Kuwonu's since my parents were in High school. Mandy and my mum were best friends and so were our dads. Kèkèli and Naomi are best friends. Me and my best friend (and crush) Zion and my younger sister Ruth, yea you guessed right, best friends with Elom.

We all go to the same high school so technically my family and the Kuwonu's are never apart. This year the dinner is at our house but it'll be different though. My mum passed away in February this year, due to cancer and it's been pretty rough. That's why we're so lucky to have a family like the Kuwonu's to help us through the tough times. 

I'm setting up the table and making sure everything is in place. Kèkèli is already here upstairs with Naomi. Since Mum passed away, Naomi and Kèkèli have been spending way more time together, but it's understandable.

I get the fancy cups from the cupboard when I see one of them about to fall off the shelf. I gasp when I see a hand grab it before it falls.

Ruth: Yo Starlight you gotta be more careful, these are our special cups man

Y/N: OH MY GOSH! Thanks Ruthy, can you put them in their places please? I need to set up the plates.

Ruth: Sure thang, chicken wang

Omg she did not just say that.
I shake my head and chime in before she leaves the kitchen.

Y/N: Ruth?

Ruth: Ayo?

Y/N: Please do not say that ever again

I chuckle.

Ruth: HAHAHAH aight you got it

She disappears into the dinning room as I go back to the cupboard to collect the plates, knives, spoons and forks.

I place them out on the table in the dinning room when I feel gentle hands on my shoulders. I turn around to the face of my beautiful Dad.

Dad: Starlight the table looks amazing

Y/N: Thanks Da-

Dad: But you don't so...

Y/N: Aye! Dad

Dad: Haha I'm joking come on Starlight go get dressed before our guests arrive okay?

Y/N: Aight Dad I'll be back down soon to get the food out and set the rest of the table okay.

Kèkèli: Oh no no Starlight don't worry me and Omi can finish it off.

Kèkèli says as her and Naomi descend the staircase already ready.

Naomi: Yea Starlight go get ready aight we got this

Y/N: Aight thanks Omi

As I walk up the stairs I reflect on my nickname. "Starlight". The nickname my mum gave to me. Everybody just calls me that more than my actual name. If someone ever calls me by my real name it's either cause I'm in trouble or it's something serious.

I enter into my room, and on my bed I see a beautiful red body con dress with a card on top and little bag next to it. I pick up the card and read:

"For my darling little Starlight, this is for you to look as beautiful as the stars above, Love your Mother xx"

I turn the card over and check the date. "18/02/17". A tear falls down my cheek and I open the bag to reveal a little box inside. I open the box to reveal a little necklace with the word "Starlight" in cursive writing in gold. I hold the necklace close to me and begin to cry. As I'm crying I hear my bedroom door open faintly.